Help with spark test on '78 Evinrude 35 hp

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just purchased a boat with a clean '78 Evinrude 35 hp, I mean the builder inspection sticker is still on the block and the foam padding attached to the hood looks new (garage kept since new). I purchased from an estate with no children so I can't find any history for the motor.

First I wanted to test compression. The motor has electric start and a remote dash mounted key ignition circuit. I cleaned the battery leads and put on my new battery. I inserted the key and no power to the motor. I disconnected the dash circuit from the battery and wired the battery ground directly to the motor and made a hot lead that I touched to the starter solenoid and the starter jumped as it should. I tested the compression and got 135-140 on both cylinders.

I now want to test for spark. I plugged in a tester and using the same technique of touching the hot lead to the solenoid I didn?t observe any spark. I am wondering if I should even get a spark with a ?dead? remote starter switch? I pulled the switch from the dash and can?t find any terminals that show unswitched hot on my meter so it understandable that I have no electrical power to the motor.

The large approximately 2? wire bundle coming out of the motor has a hot and ground from the battery and a ?? bundle with I believe are 7 wires routed to the ignition switch. Perhaps the photos will help.

Here are my questions ?

Should I expect a spark with a faulty (or corroded) key switch if I jump the solenoid directly from the battery?

If not, how can I test to see if the motor is producing spark before purchasing a new switch?

Where can I find out the proper id of each of the 7 wires going to the start switch?

While I await some advice I will return to the start switch and label and remove he wires and clean up the posts and check the ends for corrosion.

IMG_6121.JPGIMG_6122.JPGIMG_6123.JPGIMG_6124.JPGIMG_6125.JPG

The small white and small red wire have been cut but I don't see any severed wire so I guess it was snipped during the install. I assume the terminal with the larger red wire is the unswitched hot side of the switch.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Don