Johnson 200hp electrical advice needed....

fish2day

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1991 Johnson 200 J200EXTIB. I recently replaced my Regulator/Rectifier, Powerpack, Stator and Timer Base due to a fire caused by my Regulator/Rectifier shorting out. I also replaced the ignition dur to it not activating the electric choke when pushing the key in. Everything was working good before taking it to the water. It was running strong at home on the muffs and seemed to be ok.
I put in in the water yesterday and it ran great for about 3 or 4 miles. It then starting misfiring and loosing power. When it died the ignition switch would not spin the motor over. I checked with volt meter and I had power to the ignition switch. I jumped across the solenoid and it started and ran about a mile then started misfiring and stopped. The ignition switch will still not spin the motor. I jumped across the solenoid and it appeared not to be firing.
Where should I start looking first for the problem? Alll parts that I replaced were used except for the Ignition Switch which was new. What would cause the Ignition Switch not to spin the motor?? If the Kill Switch is bad, wouldn't the Ignition Switch still spin the engine ???
Any Advice appreciated.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson 200hp electrical advice needed....

You need power on the yellow/red wire from switch to solenoid.

fish2day

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Johnson 200hp electrical advice needed....

You need power on the yellow/red wire from switch to solenoid.

Hey Clanton, I completed the carb problem but this is tricky. I do have 12.25 volts at the solenoid across the red/yellow and the grd. I tried to start it earlier and it started spinning over and as soon as it fired it stopped. Now I get nothing when I turn the ignition key. Something is interminent I think, I just don't know if it is a hot or grd that I need to trace.