New acquisition '98 Evinrude Ficht Intruder

jdkl81

Cadet
I've done my homework and I understand that the Ficht technology was raw in these motors and that some of you guys steer clear of them with good reason. That having been said, I've wanted one just about since they came out when I was first into boating...seemed like a challenge and great when they run well. Anyway, bought a salvage one from a local outboard guy, has good spark, starts, compression is 125 and up and all within 5-10%, the price was right so I figured this was my chance. Anyway, it looks like the heads are the old, non pinned style. I've heard mixed opinions as to whether or not it's really worth it to upgrade to the deflector pins in a well running engine of that age with a normal amount of hours. What do you guys think? Also, I'm aware of how important indexing spark plugs and using the correct ones is for these engines....assuming I chose to keep the non pinned original heads, is there any reference point for indexing? I'm also aware that they are sensitive to correct propping, what WOT range should I aim for? If it matters, this is part of an effort to restore an old Critchfield that belonged to my grandfather and add modern power. Boat is 20' LOA and with the old engine (Johnson 175 crossflow-mid 80s vintage) would touch the low to mid 50mph range when that engine was fresh and even mid 40s by the time my brother and I got it when it was tired. I know it needs new spark plugs and a water pump, and I want to get the software (Read Only) does anyone know a BRP part # for that I should give my dealer or should I just ask them about it? I remember reading here that the 20" 98 Fichts require a different water pump than the 25", which kit do I need for this 20" Intruder? Thanks...and go easy on me please! My Ficht knowledge is only enough to be dangerous, but I'm ready to be patient with it and learn. Thanks so much
JD

Haffiman

Commander
Re: New acquisition '98 Evinrude Ficht Intruder

Good luck, I had a lot of fun with them when they first came on the market. Had a couple of 97, 98 and 99 - in general they lasted around 100-200 hrs before a piston or more went!
That said, they are not totally 'hopeless', and a lot may be done to keep alive providing you get the parts!!
EMM, powerpacks and regulators was in my 'frequent' list of spare parts.
XD-50 oil and some Carbon Guard in the fuel from time to time might save your spark plug budget a lot.
E-bay will probably be the best source for diag prg, but a bit tricky sometimes to get them work.
An old Sony PDA is a bit more convenient for the diag than dragging along a lap top, but need a special prg. Still have a disk of the old version1 for PDA!
Keep an eye on e-bay and start collecting useful parts as they gets on the market, and invest in an OEM workshop manual!!!!
Parts list you may find here:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1998&hp=150&model=E150FSLECR
or use 'evinrude.com'.

jdkl81

Cadet

Yeah, I know they are risky, so I didn't break the bank for one. Thanks for the help. Any idea what took yours out at around that 100-200 hr mark?

Haffiman

Commander

Mainly scored pistons due to soot build up. Except for failed electronics they worked as long as I had them, about 100hrs, but when sold and customers started using normal TCW3 oils and did not use the Carbon Guard and service plugs every 25 hrs, they started failing. As long as you avoid the transition rpm between stratified and homogenous ignition and not stress it out in lower rpm's,(plowing a river in 5 knots for hours) they are not too bad. Being a dealer at that time, I got all the different up-dates, some worked, some not. Lot of people had problems with the valves in the oil manifold, I never. The most important is to have access to tools and parts and correct any 'misbehavior' before it develops. If storing for winter, be sure to use the 'ficht mix' in the fuel system!!

jdkl81

Cadet

Haffiman, thanks for sharing your knowledge. This boat won't see much idling (except the relatively short manatee no wake zones we have here in Florida) mostly around 3500-4000 rpm if the 175 it's replacing was any indication. I feel this unit is fairly fresh and may be able to have any issues corrected before they become fatal. I'm well aware of the risk, but I see it like this: if it blows up, I got it cheap and it's a learning experience, if it runs for a long time I will just be grateful. What WOT range should I shoot for in selecting the correct propeller? Thanks

Haffiman

Commander

Prop it for max around 5500. I had mine on a Boston Whaler 17 Outrage and got max performance when propped around 5100, just hit 50 knots on GPS. That is however a bit low according to recommendations. Used to switch between 19 SST II/Viper, 18" and 20" Raker depending on what I was up to for the trip.
When the Ficht was introduced to the dealers back in Norway, (I had already had my first(came seized from factory!) and second for a short time), I went to the meeting by boat, a 50 Nm trip from Tonsberg to Oslo. The representative from OMC heading the meeting at the seaside hotel was a bit shocked that I did not have a 'back-up' engine on the boat! That engine went to most of the up-grades available, and a bit more of map-testing, PH lasted 102 hours(one year) before it was replaced due to piston failure. I've never 'abused' an engine this much in my life as I did with that one. Used it for towing, trolling, water skiing and my daughters used it for fun and as 'disco' boat when out with friends. I think to remember the EMM read out almost 20% WOT when it finally broke down.