1988 Johnson 110 hp no spark, looking for ignition wiring diagrams, debug steps

akoz

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I have the "oddball" J110TLCCA outboard that has only 1 powerpack feeding 4 coils and my Seloc manual only covers the 2 powerpack version. I'd like to find a wiring diagram and also the debug procedure for the ignition system. I just picked up this motor for $100, pretty much left for dead, but now it looks worth fixing as it turns over and has good compression. At this point there is no spark on any cylinders and I don't want to start replacing ignition parts without following the debug steps and the Seloc does not cover this. Thanks, Al

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Johnson 110 hp no spark, looking for ignition wiring diagrams, debug steps

Have you tried bypassing the kill switch circuit?
Unplug the single wire connector shown in the picture. The second picture shows the powerpack that this wire goes into. Under the insulator the wire is black / yellow
If you get spark after the disconnect the problem is in your key switch or the lanyard safety switch.KILL WIRE 001.jpgKILL WIRE 002.jpg

akoz

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1988 Johnson 110 hp no spark, looking for ignition wiring diagrams, debug steps

very nice...exactly what I needed, thanks!

akoz

Seaman Apprentice

yes, that was part of the problem, now there's basically a bad coil, but spark now on the others.
Thank you!