1962 Evinrude Speeditwin 28 hp - no spark on one of the two wires

1up

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

I get no spark on one of the two spark plugs.

Just having the ignition cable without spark plug or spark plug boot on, holding it to the block, should I get a spark?

I don't.

Does this motor have one or two ignition coils? Are they hard to get to?

One of the two spark plus gives sparks beautifully when help against the block.

I have checked the spark plug and it is ok. Spark plug wire and boot spring is checked. Boot spring is old but it appears to be ok. A bit I wonder though if it is tight against the spark plug base.

Any ideas and tips on how to troubleahoot this further is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading this far

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1962 Evinrude Speeditwin 28 hp - no spark on one of the two wires

The best way to test for spark is using an air gap tester which cost less than $10 usually. Set the tester for about 3/8" to 7/16". Your spark should be quite visible and able to jump the contacts with an audible crack noise. If you still don't have spark, I'd suggest removing the flywheel and have a look at the coils.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi 1up. Your motor uses the good 'ol OMC "universal magneto". There are two coils under the flywheel along with 2 sets of points and 2 condensers and that's it. You can get a "Tune up kit" with new points and condersers right here at iboats for about $20. The coils are probably ok, unless they are cracked, or scorched. If/when you should decide to get new spark plug wires be sure you use 7mm COPPER CORE wires as automotive, graphite wires will not work. Here's a great link that can walk you through and entire ignition rebuild along with some other handy links.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/378986/37898600001.htm
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/max/index6.htm

AlTn

Commander

as well...look under the Sticky : Top Secret Files...scroll down to Universal Magneto Troubleshooting...it'll cover most everything you're likely to encounter

1up

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a lot for the answers and quick support!

I will probably just go ahead and take a look under the flywheel.

I could try buying the mentioned tool or I buy a new spark plug boot on Sunday and go with that.

Thanks for all handy links. I will post an update as I have made progress. Cheers.

1up

Seaman Apprentice

I got the flywheel nut off after a lot of work. Just took a nut soaked in penetrating oil and a 1.5 meter/60 inch handle from an old scythe and two men and a nylon strap home made strap wrench. Puh!

Flywheel is still on though. I built my own design flywhel puller today from a u profile cast iron part 1/4 inch thick. It fit great and I have it torqued now until the center nut started bending. I hope it will loosen during night.

One month now in working on this same outboard. We are getting a close bond. :)

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again 1up. You'll need to use GRADE 8 bolts, or you risk stripping the threads in the flywheel and/or breaking the bolts you're using now. Here's a pic of a proper flywheel puller set up. Leave the flywheel nut on and back it off a few turns from seated. It will keep the flywheel from potentially popping off. Be patient they can be stubborn at times. Once it's off everything else will go pretty quickly, and putting it back on is a lot easier.

flywheel puller.jpg

1up

Seaman Apprentice

Hello again 1up. You'll need to use GRADE 8 bolts, or you risk stripping the threads in the flywheel and/or breaking the bolts you're using now. Here's a pic of a proper flywheel puller set up. Leave the flywheel nut on and back it off a few turns from seated. It will keep the flywheel from potentially popping off. Be patient they can be stubborn at times. Once it's off everything else will go pretty quickly, and putting it back on is a lot easier.

Howdy,

Thanks for sharing the pic. Well, the way I have its is just fine. Mine are 8.8 steele so should be ok. The nut is loosened a bit so the wheel have the possible ility to POP loose. I checked yesterday so that the center bolt is just pushing on the 'axle'.

Thanks for tip regarding threads. What I do not want to happen is for the dlywfheel to be either damaged or end up in more trouble than before.

Will check if it broke loose now after the night's pull and update later.

I Hope for the best.

AlTn

Commander

try putting a piece of 2x4 on the outer edge of the flywheel and hitting it with a hammer..rotate the flywheel clockwise a few inches and hit it again...tighen the puller...smack the 2x4...etc...just avoid striking the flywheel with the hammer...if you have a plastic faced hammer you can disregard the 2x4 and use it solely to strike the flywheel

1up

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, that is a good tip that I will try out.