New Carb float in 1960 lightwin 3 hp spring attachment to float nozzle?

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice
Still working on getting her started after complete rebuild. I took carb off again to triple check and re-clean when I noticed the high speed nozzle is not attached to the float with the spring. The float arm rests under the nozzle. There does not seem to be a place to attach the nozzle to the float arm. Am I missing something? My old float had a hole in the center of the arm but the new float has two small holes side by side in the arm.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Carb float in 1960 lightwin 3 hp spring attachment to float nozzle?

My first stop, when it comes to figuring out parts, is the parts diagram at evinrude dot com. Someone here may answer your question, but I would definitely check the diagrams at Evinrude in the interim.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

My first stop, when it comes to figuring out parts, is the parts diagram at evinrude dot com. Someone here may answer your question, but I would definitely check the diagrams at Evinrude in the interim.

I checked the Evinrude site but could only find parts back to 1968.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If your needle is of the design that has the groove for the little metal wire clip.....and you have the clip in the carb kit you purchased...it just slides over the arm of the float. It does not need to go through a hole.

Generally; the needles that have a rubber tip use the clip; the all metal ones do not.

There are some pictures of the two different types of needles on this site:

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry about the info re: Evinrude... Had no idea it did not go back to 60.

Also, that's very interesting about the rubber tip. When I rebuilt my carbs, I noticed the rubber tips. The new valves did not have rubber tips, but the kit still came with springs. Both had the groove (like the bottom picture at your link). I was kinda happy to not see the rubber, especially knowing there's ethanol in the fuel and rubber should be alcohol resistant. Made me wonder if that's why the rubber is gone?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The new kits should have float valves with rubber tips. It is there to be used in conjunction with the clip/spring to ensure the needle does not "stick". You do not need to worry about the ethanol with regards to the newly designed float valves, they are resistant.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

The new kits should have float valves with rubber tips. It is there to be used in conjunction with the clip/spring to ensure the needle does not "stick". You do not need to worry about the ethanol with regards to the newly designed float valves, they are resistant.

Well I was going to say that "I am 99.9% sure no rubber tips on a recently bought rebuild kit from my local Evinrude shop (i.e. not an aftermarket kit). " However, I took a bunch of pictures, and looking back at the pictures of the new valve, I see that the tip either has a white protective coating, or perhaps a material that is not black is being used.

Thank you for making me think about this.

Now I need to go back and look at the photo in SeaKaye12's link more closely.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

Well a big THANK YOU. I now see where the clip goes. Thanks seakaye12 for the very helpful link. I had to reorder the clip as the other one flew away to the deep recesses of my garage while I was trying to figure out where it went. So I decided to re-soak the carb overnight even though it looked clean to me. I am glad I did cause about a quarter teaspoon of grit is now in the solvent that came from my "clean" carb soaking. I have a question about reassembling the high and slow speed needles. The manual says to screw them in until seated and then back them off 3/4 of a turn and tighten the nuts. My question is: Does the 3/4 turn figure into the final adjustment or is it the starting point for the adjustment 1-1\2 3\4 low speed high speed adjustment?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

3/4 for high, 1.5 for low. Starting point. Fine tune from there on the water under load.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

3/4 for high, 1.5 for low. Starting point. Fine tune from there on the water under load.

If I got you right I install the needle valves just seated then back each of the out 3\4 of a turn and tighten the packing nuts. Then I turn the low speed an additional 1-1\2 turns and the high speed an additional 3\4 turn.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

To clarify: at what point do I tighten the packing nut?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Snug them up to the point so adjustment of the needles is still possible; but with sufficient torque required so as to keep them from vibrating off setting by themselves.

You can do that after the initial starting point turn-outs are done.

They don't need to be real tight; just snug them down.

Chuck

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

Snug them up to the point so adjustment of the needles is still possible; but with sufficient torque required so as to keep them from vibrating off setting by themselves.

You can do that after the initial starting point turn-outs are done.

They don't need to be real tight; just snug them down.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck for the clarification. My carb is all cleaned up and waiting for my clip to arrive tomorrow in the mail. I so hope it starts when I get it back together. My hopes are all rolled into this tiny clip. Will let you all know if it finally starts in the barrel.

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If I got you right I install the needle valves just seated then back each of the out 3\4 of a turn and tighten the packing nuts. Then I turn the low speed an additional 1-1\2 turns and the high speed an additional 3\4 turn.

No that is not right.

It is only 1 adjustment. Each needle is set differently. For the low, turn it clockwise, tightening it until lightly seated, then back it out 1.5 turns. That is it until final adjustment on the water, which will only be minor tweaking.

Same with the high, but only back it out 3/4 of a turn, thats it.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks I got that now.