1956 Evinrude Lark 30hp - another wiring question

AluminumMan

Cadet
Hi I am new to the forum and new to an old 1956 Evinrude Lark 30hp (sn#25526 50312).
THe older gentleman I bought it from said it ran great and I looking forward to putting it on my 1956 Feathercraft Ranger.
A couple of hurdles to get over first.

THe wiring harness coming off the motor was cut clean.
It came with a next of wires and a rough looking transom box - there is no ignition switch.
I cleaned the "nest" up a bit but still cannot make sense of it - even when referencing a wiring diagram.

To be honest there seems to be far more wires than I would have estimated.

My questions:
The transom box says for 12 volt systems - I believe the 1956 was a6 volt system. Is there anyway to confirm if the motor has been converted already?

In addition to the main large gauge wires that run to the battery and starter, there are several small (almost tiny) gauge wires that are going from postive to negative battery cables.

To help me sort this mess out, does anyone have pictures of the actual wires adn wiring system (I am not sure can align what I am seeing to the wiring diagrams that I have downloaded from this site?

thanks in advance guys,

Attachments

• SAM_0133-1.jpg
    SAM_0133-1.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 0

AluminumMan

Cadet
Re: 1956 Evinrude Lark 30hp - another wiring question

Here the images I meant to add to the previous email.

thanks again,

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Here is a good wiring diagram to work with.

Attachments

• Wiring1958_6135_40hpwithoutgenerato.jpg
    Wiring1958_6135_40hpwithoutgenerato.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You are going to have to wire pretty much from zero. Your solenoid may be toasted too.

Is the choke solenoid 12V or 6V, it will be stamped on it. If it is 12 V I would wire it as such. That is really the only item that needs to be changed to switch to a 12V system, the starter can handle it.

Here is your original wiring

1954-566Vwiring.jpg

Here is the conversion diagram

12Vwiring.jpg

lindy46

Captain

Your starter solenoid is a 12 volt, so use the conversion diagram lsited above by HighTrim. If your choke solenoid is 6 volts, a 12 volt battery will fry it, so you'll have to get a 12 volt choke solenoid or just manually choke it.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

In lieu of buying an expensive 12V choke solenoid, you can reduce the voltage going to the 6V solenoid by putting an auto ignition ballast resistor in line. NAPA makes a ICR34 ballast resistor for $7-$8.

AluminumMan

Cadet

In lieu of buying an expensive 12V choke solenoid, you can reduce the voltage going to the 6V solenoid by putting an auto ignition ballast resistor in line. NAPA makes a ICR34 ballast resistor for $7-$8.

Wow, good point. If the last owner was running it with a 12volt battery (which I assume he was given the 12 volt start solenoid) he may have already made the choke solenoid conversion too - how could I tell? I attached a picture if that helps.

I gave up on the existing starter solenoid and went to the local Canadian Tire and the guy did his best bet and gave me a solenoid that looks similar - as long as it is 12 volts....am I okay?

Finally, I am trying to sort out where all the smaller wires are going to and from in my start solenoid transom box.
The diagram on the cover plate of the box doesn't give details. In particular there is one small red wire that goes to something associated with the carb - could be a fuel pump but I didn't think the 56 had one. The motor came with a couple of gas cans that I take it to be pressure tanks..... I wouldn't need those if the motor had a fuel pump right?

Any help sorting it out would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1
  • 56 Lark Wiring.jpg
    56 Lark Wiring.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 1

AluminumMan

Cadet

Wow, good point. If the last owner was running it with a 12volt battery (which I assume he was given the 12 volt start solenoid) he may have already made the choke solenoid conversion too - how could I tell? I attached a picture if that helps.

I gave up on the existing starter solenoid and went to the local Canadian Tire and the guy did his best bet and gave me a solenoid that looks similar - as long as it is 12 volts....am I okay?

Finally, I am trying to sort out where all the smaller wires are going to and from in my start solenoid transom box.
The diagram on the cover plate of the box doesn't give details. In particular there are two black wires that go to something associated with the carb - could be a fuel pump but I didn't think the 56 had one. The motor came with a couple of gas cans that I take it to be pressure tanks..... I wouldn't need those if the motor had a fuel pump right?

Any help sorting it out would be greatly appreciated.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I supplied the wiring diagram above?

It is for the choke solenoid, you can see it in your second pic. It will say 12 volt on it if it is.

AluminumMan

Cadet

I supplied the wiring diagram above?

It is for the choke solenoid, you can see it in your second pic. It will say 12 volt on it if it is.

Thanks Chris. The end I can see easily is all rubber and no sign of the 12volt - I try and see if there is a way to see the back end of it.

Any idea what the item with the two black wires is (fuel pump?)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

It will be stamped on the bottom where the connector is for the wire.

That is your vaccuum cutout switch in pic 3. It shuts the motor down when it senses a high vaccuum in the intake manifold, hence the line running there.

lindy46

Captain

An automotive solenoid will NOT WORK on the engine. You need a marine solenoid to get the proper ground.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

+1 on the solenoid. Automotive solenoids have two small hot terminals on the front and marine solenoids, have a hot terminal and a ground terminal on the front. The small left terminal has a hot wire coming from the key switch and the ground side runs to a ground on the motor, preferrably a mercury switch.

AluminumMan

Cadet

+1 on the solenoid. Automotive solenoids have two small hot terminals on the front and marine solenoids, have a hot terminal and a ground terminal on the front. The small left terminal has a hot wire coming from the key switch and the ground side runs to a ground on the motor, preferrably a mercury switch.

Okay, I will stop by the marine store later in the week.
The automotive solenoid I have has the two main hot posts (from battery and to starter) plus two smaller posts that I would have hooked up as per the wiring diagram for 12 volt conversion (left post to starter switch and then to mercury saftey switch) and the right to the post leading to the choke switch. Luckily I haven't opened the package on the auto solenoid.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You can get them a lot cheaper on ebay. I bought a pair for $1.00 plus shipping.