64 Evinride Sportwin Kicking out of gear

markwi

Cadet
I bought a 64 Evinrude Sportwin about a year ago and has ran great. Recently it started to kick out like I was hitting stumps. At one point it seemed the entire motor locked up but I was able to free it up. I took the boat out today and it's missing bad now. Even at a idle speed it will sound like it's kicking out of gear. What would be the cause of this?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 64 Evinride Sportwin Kicking out of gear

Sounds like a classic case of a worn clutch dog and maybe also the forward gear. Although...maybe something as simple as a mis-adjusted linkage....but if it's been doing that for a while.....the hard parts are more than likely worn now; if not before.

Chuck

markwi

Cadet

It just started doing it a few weeks ago and just got worst. How much of a project will I be getting myself into fixing this?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well...if it turns out to be the clutch dog and gears you will have to drop the skeg (6 screws I think) and have a look. You can start by looking at the parts diagram for your motor to familiarize yourself with the parts involved and what they cost.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/278540/27854000001.htm

Another solution of course would be to find a replacement lower unit and just bolt it on. The trick there is to find one that's in better condition than yours is.

The lower unit of your motor is pretty much the same as a lot of other OMC's in basic design (not meaning that they will all interchange...) but the rest of your motor is a breed all it's own.

Hopefully someone here will chime in with help as how to eliminate the linkage as a cause. There may be adjustments you can try there first.

Chuck

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

YIKES!

I just checked the cost of the clutch dog; $129.97 at marineengine.com:(

There's a trick that some of the guys talk about: you can sometimes turn the clutch dog around.....it puts the bad side against reverse gear that you probably don't use very much...and gives the fresher side the job of connecting with forward gear.

Of course; forward gear itself may be worn as well.....or somebody might have already have flipped the dog at an earlier time in your engine's life....

You're not going to know until you take it apart. When you do....clean up the parts and photograph them. Someone here who's experienced can pass judgement as to their condition. It's hard to tell sometimes just how much wear you're looking at if you aren't working with them all the time.

Chuck

markwi

Cadet

I'm going to be pulling it apart within the next few hours. Hopefully I can salvage it by flipping it around. Worst case I'll see about picking up a cheap motor on Craig's List for parts.

markwi

Cadet

Well so far I'm not liking what I'm seeing! Drained the gear oil before removing everything and noticed that there was a tad of silver color. I've seen this before and know it's not good. I just drained and filled the gear oil last week so it was all new. Got it taken apart and found some pieces laying at the bottom.

I took about 14 pictures but can only post 6 so this is the link to my Image Shack where I uploaded the photos.

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mlk77/

markwi

Cadet

I've been looking at some lower unit pictures on the net and I'm wondering if the broken piece isn't the cradle shifter. I don't know much when it comes to boat motor since I just recently got a boat and motor but I see nothing like that when I took everything apart.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Whatever it was it really did a number on the gears; eh? Time to hunt for a parts motor IMHO. For the price of a new clutch dog you can pick up a complete motor. A gamble of course because its tough to evaluate the condition of the gears.

You can take a sampling of the gear oil if you find a candidate; be wary though if it looks **too** new and clean; might indicate the seller is trying to cover up leaks and other issues.

Chuck

markwi

Cadet

I figured I was in trouble when I saw all those pieces and metal shavings in the oil. I'm going to go with your suggestion and find a used motor that way I've got parts. Do you happen to know what years are compatible with this motor? I found my engine on Craig's List but they want some where around 500 for it. I paid 250 for mine about 2 years ago from my old boss.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Someone who really knows the progression of these engines needs to comment on the inter-changability over the years.

Otherwise....go to marine engine and compare the part numbers from one year to another.

Hopefully you live in an area with a lot of old motors kicking around.

Chuck

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I think that you can use the unit from any of the low profile 9.5s from 1964 to 1973. Not sure that the innards are 100% interchangeable between years, but as a unit, they should be.

Is the housing for your unit in good shape? In particular, the bearing area right under the pinion gear. If that is true (round) and the shaft has no slop there, then you can probably re-use the housing if you find innards. That tends to be where the wear first, particularly if you get water in the unit. The bearing wears and the gear starts going off center, followed by the gears going out. Yours looks like the clutch dog cradle came apart, so the housing may be okay.

FYI, there are several 9.5 lowers on eBay right now...

markwi

Cadet

Thanks for the help everyone! The housing seems to be fine I don't see any cracks or anything like that. From the picture I saw the clutch dog cradle was the only part I didn't see when I took everything apart so I would say your correct and that's what all those pieces where. I've been looking on Ebay as well and saw some of the units for sale. I'm thinking of getting one. If not my brother has a 20HP Johnson he will sell me for 400. Then I can focus on fixing the other motor.

markwi

Cadet

I got a lower unit today from a local used outboard place was told it has new seals and water pump. I got everything installed put it in a barrel but I'm not seeing water come out at all. Is there any difference in the shaft that goes into the motor housing that would cause the pump to not turn?

markwi

Cadet

I may have that problem solved. What would be the easy way to go about connection the shift rod again?

I've got it up and running again. All gears works and shift good and the water pump is pushing out water a lot better than it was before. Now the only thing left is to take it out on the water for a proper test. Thanks again for all the help.