100 hp 1972 evinrude ???

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class
im going to pick this motor up motor does run. also i will be getting 2 other motors non evinrude/johnson :(
i also know that the shift is electric. just want any ones input on this motor. i will not be spending any money except gas to get them but if all is well im looking to mount it on my critchfield 17 ft current motor is a 70 hp johnson

any input pro or con is appreciated

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 100 hp 1972 evinrude ???

There's nothing terribly wrong with the electric shift models, they just need different attention than the manual shift models. Does it come with the controls? If not, the shift switch alone can get really pricey.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I ran that exact engine for 3-4 seasons, then sold it. Ran great the time I had it. Had just one problem during my ownership-a bad timing sensor. It seemed like it was the little engine that could. I put power trim on it-which made it a good performer. Check the compression, lower unit oil, ingition spark and the lower unit shifting. You'll need to be sure you get the correct (electric shift) control box with the engine. At 92 cubic inches, it is a smaller engine when compared to the 115/125 engines of that vintage. Replacement parts are getting scarce for this engine-also finding anyone that can/will still work on them.

Last edited:

gokart83

Seaman Apprentice

i had a chance at a free elctroshift too. After some research, I turned it down. I found out that it was nothing but problems from day 1. Probably why they didnt make it but a couple of years. I figured if the factory couldnt make it work then I propably couldn't either. Plus the parts are very hard to find even used.

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes it comes with controls can the electroshift be changed at a later date to regular controls i have several controls for johnson evinrude

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry, once an electric shift always an electric shift.