starting evinrude 1961

hnkogan

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
The Evinrude 18 hp rebuilt project continues the tale of woes.
I have rebuilt the motor; new coils, plugs, points, condensers, all carb components, termostat, impeller.
The motor started before I opened it. Does not start now.
It starts for a second when I crank it and then dies. I have good spark and correct fuel mixture.
What can it be?
(I would take it to the mechanic, but I do not know anyone around who does the old motors). Since I completely lack experience however, it could be something trivial..
Hana

kfa4303

Banned
Re: starting evinrude 1961

Hi hana. Great old motor you've got there. The first thing to check is the compression. IF you can get over 90-100 psi in each cylinder and they are with in 10% of eachother, then the compression is good, which only leaves spark and fuel. You spark should jump a 1/4" gap (gap tester is $5 at auto store) and you should run 24:1 mix with Chamion J6C spark plugs. Here's a great link that can help you get her running. Confirm each factor (compression, fuel, spark) before moving on to the next and only ever run in a test tank with water filled up to about and iuch or two below the main exhaust port. Holler if you get stuck.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_E-FD_15_18hp.html

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How did you check your spark ? It should jump a 1/4" open air gap on a spark tester.

hnkogan

Seaman Apprentice

Compression is 50 psi on both cylinders. I spoke to the mechanic who told me it should run this season, just have less power.
I know it is low, but the motor started when I bought it; surely the compression did not get worse..
Fuel mix is correct.
I do have the spark on both plugs, I did not measure it correctly because the plugs are new. I will do the test with the tool tomorrow.

hnkogan

Seaman Apprentice

I thiought the weak spark will not start the motor at all...
Mine starts, and dies in a second or two..
Could it be weak spark plugs?
H

kfa4303

Banned

How are you checking the compression? Are you removing both spark plugs? 50 psi is about half of what it should be. I'm surprised it starts at all. Spark is sort of an all or none thing. Either you have sufficient spark, or you don't. I would try spraying a bit of WD-40 into each cylinder, letting it sit for a while, then re-check the compression. If it still very low then that's your problem. If you're lucky, it may only need a head gasket.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What about the kill switch? I doubt it's the issue because you say it will fire occasionally....but it might be worth a shot to disconnect the two wires coming down from the mag plate and see if anything changes.

Spark plug wires are hooked up correctly; top and bottom? If they are reversed you might get a pop or even a backfire....

Chuck

hnkogan

Seaman Apprentice

I checked the compression at my auto shop. We removed plugs one at a time.
The motor not only starts, but starts easily, on second pull ( would start by a man on the first). It just dies after a second or two. as if something chokes it.
The spark plugs look very good, I would bet they are OK.
I will try your advice.
Thanks!
Hana

hnkogan

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, Chuck,
1.I never even realized the order of plugs matter! I naturally put them in the same way they were originally, but will check with the manual if the order is correct (if I can understand the manual!)
2. WHAT IS the kill switch??!!The mag plate?
3. Do not know what the backfire feels like, but it definitely pops regularly! Like as if it gives a big angry sneeze! (at my stupidity!)
I also had the problem with the tiller handle moving in the clockwise direction during starting and adjusted the coil alignment as advised in secret files. While I was at it, I realized that one of the spark wires is not connected to the coil; when this was fixed, the pops subsided, but did not go away completely.
Hana

AlTn

Commander

referring to the tiller handle moving...are you speaking of the twist grip ?...if your sparkplug wires aren't held tight under the armature plate, or there's they don't have "free movement" once they exit and come down the side of the block in route to the sparkplugs, they'll exert a "spring like" pressure and this will force the armature plate to move and in turn it'll move the vertical rod and gears connected to the twist grip

hnkogan

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, the twist grip.
Yes, I bet they are loose. I will fix that. But this can not be the reason the motor does not run, right?
H