Starter 2002 johnson 115 2 stroke

Fraggle

Cadet
I have a 2002 Johnson 115 2 stroke outboard and the starter is just spinning no engaging(it sounds like something lose also). The battery is at full charge and my connections are clean. Is the starter on this motor a separate piece from the Bendix? Do you have to remove the entire plastic cover over the flywheel to access the starter, because I cannot see the top of the starter? Or does the starter drop down? And if you drop down does the bendex come down also? I looked all over the internet and can't fond any information on the is removal. Thanks in advance.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter 2002 johnson 115 2 stroke

On that mtr the bendix is driven by a gear from the starter. The bendix may be stuck on the shaft it rides on. To get at the bendix you'll have to remove the plastic cover. The starter mtr drops from the bottom. If the starter mtr is spinning fast enough, you may want to remove the plastic cover and spray a little lube on the bendix shaft. Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up you mtr. They got good parts diagrams.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Starter 2002 johnson 115 2 stroke

Whatever you do, do not 'spray' anything on that bendix shaft. It has a history of spinning in the friction clutch and any spray increases that risk. Remove the plastic cover and check that the bendix is not slipping on the shaft. (Lock the shaft in a vice and try turning the bendix) If so, replace the complete bendix shaft. Lubricate the spiral shaft and end bearing cup with some moly lube, but no spray!!