1975 115 hp Evinrude overheating

ReidRouse

Cadet
i was given a 1975 Evinrude 115 hp on a trihull boat that had the power head replaced 5 years ago. it sat up for 3 years and the man that gave it to me got it running. i took it out a month or so ago and it ran great. I use the water hose muffs to flush it out and it the engine stays cool and it appears water is flowing properly. Today, i put the engine in a barrell and ran it and it was getting hot. no water flowing out of the top two holes near the power head on the exterior of the lower unit. why would that happen and what may be wrong with the engine.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1975 115 hp Evinrude overheating

How far did you have the water level above the water pump, 6" or so?
Running on a hose will mask a defective water pump, the water pressure will bypass the pump and keep it cool.
If it's been sitting that long it probably time to replace the water pump.

ReidRouse

Cadet

Do you think it may be the thermostat? I was wondering if it was the impeller before but when i took it out the first and only time, it ran great. I didn't hear an over heating buzzer, but then again, it may not have one.

ReidRouse

Cadet

my water level was very close, but below, where the lower unit bolts onto the engine frame.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The water level should be higher. About the same level as when the boat is sitting in the lake at idle.

interalian

Commander
You should start your own thread. Mods don't want you to tag on to old ones.