88hp johnson wont plane off

deltajd

Recruit
my 1992 88hp johnson will not plane off at all with 3 people and takes forever with 2 people.also it has no power when loading on trailer .it still starts great and runs 43 mph on the water after it finally planes off with 2 people.i have replaced plugs but that didn't help.what could be the problem? thanks

TkdSilat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 88hp johnson wont plane off

my 1992 88hp johnson will not plane off at all with 3 people and takes forever with 2 people.also it has no power when loading on trailer .it still starts great and runs 43 mph on the water after it finally planes off with 2 people.i have replaced plugs but that didn't help.what could be the problem? thanks

Did you gap the plugs? Have the carbs been cleaned? Did you check for correct spark / voltage from the engine on all cylinders? I would start by making sure all cylinders fire correctly, and all the plugs are gapped correctly.

matth121

Petty Officer 1st Class

not sure if your in the same boat as me but my low power problems turned out to be carb related- my high speed needle was out of adjustment. did you make sure to drain any fuel from your carb before storing? could be gummed up with varnish. Did this just sorta start happening after having been working properly or is this something you noticed after taking it out of storage? If outta storage, i'd guess a carb problem but i'm by no means an expert or even someones advice you should be taking, wait for the pro's to chime in, but providing more info can only help. Best of luck, these guys got me flying down the lake again.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What's the compression on it ?? Have you got the correct prop on it ?? Will the spark jump a 7/16 ' open air gap on a spark tester ?? Is your timer base moving freely when you accelerate ??

deltajd

Recruit

What's the compression on it ?? Have you got the correct prop on it ?? Will the spark jump a 7/16 ' open air gap on a spark tester ?? Is your timer base moving freely when you accelerate ??

tomorrow i will do a spark test,recheck my plugs and maybe i can start to narrow down some of these possible problems.Thanks I appreciate the help.