Rebuilding 1964 40hp Johnson - need help please :)

RedBill

Cadet
I recently bought a 1965 Starcraft, has a 1964 Johnson 40 HP RDS-26R (J2457343). I mainly am just trying to learn - I have never worked on an outboard before. I was going to start with the water impellar. I bought the seloc manual, but that has been no help at all :) Anyway, As I started taking the lower until off, a bunch of metal pellets fell out. I'm assuming they are bearings, but I can't figure out what they go to. So that is my first question.

Second question. I see where the lower unitl is attached to a bar by the power head, but I can't figure out how to take that apart so I can drop the lower unit - any advice? I attached 2 pics - please let me know if you need more. I appreacite any advice. Thanks!!

-BIll

Attachments

• oops.jpg
    oops.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 0
  • need to remove this bar.jpg
    need to remove this bar.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 0

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rebuilding 1964 40hp Johnson - need help please :)

The "pellets" are the roller bearing rolling elements for the pinion gear. The outer race is in the housing, when assembling, you stick the rollers into there with vaseline.
Here is a parts list of your engine, just pick the proper model number: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1964&hp=40
The gear case is on page 22, the parts listing on page 23.
BTW, that tapered roller bearing at the front of the prop shaft does not look too good, I would replace it.
The dog clutch, the piece in the middle on the prop shaft, also seems to have the corners rounded off, but the picture is not too good to judge it!

I am sure others will chine in on the second question.

Peter

katman123

Cadet

If you remove the little rectangular plate on the leg that has the two screws in it you should find a link with two other screws, loosen those screws and the shift linkage will come apart and let the lower unit come off.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just loosen the lower bolt and take it out. Leave the upper one in.

RedBill

Cadet

Wow - thanks for all the great info! I thought everthing looked good - so thanks for letting me know anout the parts that look worn. Looks like I have a pretty good project on my hands! Again - I really appreciate the advice!

Thanks!

Bill

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I guess I'm just curious as to why you took the Gear-case apart? Was there a shifting problem?

Willyclay

Captain

I bought the seloc manual, but that has been no help at all :) Thanks!!-BIll

Welcome to the forum! The members here are great and can help you solve any problem. I feel your pain with the SELOC manual. When I did my first complete overhaul of a 1959 Johnson 35, I used a Clymer manual which is also a non-factory manual. My motor was seized when I got it but started and ran on the first crank after reassembly. It served me well for the ten years that I ran that motor with zero problems. It might help you keep that classic old motor running also. FYI, I have other factory manuals and can verify they are specific to each model motor but assume the user is a factory-trained mechanic with all the required "special tools" and a fully-equipped shop. The link below will get you to a free online library that has a manual that covers your motor and lots more. Good luck!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=393281

LOGIN as directed then drill down to: Small Engines, Marine/Boat Motors, Evinrude/Johnson, Outboard 40HP (1956-1964) and, finally, Condensed Service Data.

lindy46

Captain

Just loosen the lower bolt and take it out. Leave the upper one in.

You must COMPLETELY REMOVE the lower shift coupler bolt to free the shift rod from the coupler.

lindy46

Captain

I guess I'm just curious as to why you took the Gear-case apart? Was there a shifting problem?

Yes - no need to get into the gearcase to change the impeller - just drop the lower unit and the water pump sits right on top.