Evinrude 115 Carburetor Kit Questions \ Hard Starting ?s

mattcruff

Cadet
Sorry this is so long but, I have a 1977 Evinrude 115. When I got the motor it was in pieces. I put everything back together and couldn't get it to idle with the carburetors that came with it. (It has 130 psi on all 4 cylinders) I installed another set of carburetors i had on my old 1983 evinrude 115 (the early 1983 production carburetors). This solved the fuel problem. Last time I took my boat out, the bottom carburetor float stuck open and flooded the motor. I was going to get a rebuild kit and put new gaskets and float needles. Only thing is 1983 carb set doesn't have a choke, only fast idle. Motor actually is pretty hard to start, but once it starts it runs like a top.(may be idle timing or something im not sure how to set it) I was wondering what all came with the OEM carburetor rebuild kits? Im thinking the 1977 carburetors were off of another motor maybe a 85hp or something. Does it come with new jets? I'd like to go back to the older style carburetors so I could choke the motor. I just wasn't sure what was included. If it doesn't come with needles ill just rebuild the 1983 carburetors and deal with the 10 minutes it takes to get her to start.

PS - With motor on earmuffs it cranks first bump of the key. Its only when exhaust is under water that its hard to start. Getting excellent fire on all cylinders. If you pull each spark plug wire while running it idles rough as it should and sounds even on all 4 cylinders. So, Im pretty sure its firing on all 4 cylinders. If you know what could be the cause of the hard starting I will stick with the set of 1983 Carburetors.

mattcruff

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 115 Carburetor Kit Questions \ Hard Starting ?s

Also wanted to add motor is cranking at same speed in or out of water so i know its not starter or battery cable.

mattcruff

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 115 Carburetor Kit Questions \ Hard Starting ?s

Anyone know what is included in the oem carb rebuild kits?