1972 Johnson 9.5 Water Pump / Exhaust Leak Question

manudevil20

Recruit
Hey guys. So i have been reading a lot of this forum and have already checked the coils/points on it. But i have a problem. It is not pumping water and there seems to be an exhaust leak because when i turn the motor off it has smoke coming out of the cover. I think i may have overheated the motor because i never looked for water coming out. Yeah im dumb sometimes. :)

Anyways can it be a related problem as far as the waterpump not working and the exhaust leak?
Also i have found 2-3 different repair manuals for this motor. What brand do you suggest? Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1972 Johnson 9.5 Water Pump / Exhaust Leak Question

Could be, there is a small rubber exhaust hose that you could have burn't up.
Get the factory manual, costs a little more, but worth the money.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you see any water peeing out of the mtr anywhere when you were running it ???

manudevil20

Recruit

No i dont remember seeing any coming out. The motor has been sitting for 2 years before it was given to me.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would start by replacing the impeller before you go any further. if you're able to run the motor I'd make sure you had a stream of some sort. It may have just been smoke coming from the pee-outlet.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the 9.5 there is a rubber doughnut that sits about halfway down on the exh leg between that and the outer shroud that will get deformed over time. It will let exh into the cover area as well.

manudevil20

Recruit

Once i drop the lower unit is it easily seen?

jhohanshelt

Cadet

Did you see any water peeing out of the mtr anywhere when you were running it ???

Not to steal this thread but my Johnson 9.5 wont idle. There is water around the pull start recoil (above the exhaust hose). What would cause this water? Could this contribute to why my motor wont idle? How do I fix this? My motor has a new water pump and fresh carb clean. Thanks