1951 Johnson TN26 Recoil Spring

Tanus

Recruit
I'm rebuilding the motor in the title, and the recoil spring broke. Currently, I have the recoil starter assembly off the motor and winding the rope around the flywheel to start. That's ok, but I'd prefer to use the original assembly. I have two questions.

1. Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement spring?

2. Failing that, has anyone fashioned a workable spring from an old broken one? This one is broken right at the end where it slips around the pin, and I wondered if it was worth heating the spring with a torch and bending it into the right curve.

Thanks in advance.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1951 Johnson TN26 Recoil Spring

I have tried rebending the springs before, sometimes it works and most of the time it doesn't, you loose the temper in the spring.
Look in the "Top Secret File" at the top of the page, there is a list of salvage yards there, maybe one of them can help you out with parts.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

307573 is the spring part number, it was used on a lot of models over the years and is probably stocked by your local Evinrude dealer.

Tanus

Recruit

Thank you both for the answers. Based on those, I figure I'll only heat/bend if I can't get the replacement.