'84 Evinrude Not Pumping Fuel

mattevans24

Cadet
Good Morning,

I have a new to me 1984 Evinrude 90hp VRO. It fires right up and it runs smoothly, but it dies after about 20 seconds. If I keep priming the bulb it stays running, so I figure it is a fuel delivery issue (most likely the fuel pump).

I am at work and I thought about ordering a new fuel pump today, but one thing keeps nagging me. Is there typically a vent on the fuel tank (new quicksilver 6.6 gallon, new line/bulb) that needs to be open? If so and if its closed, could that be what is keeping the fuel from pumping?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

bullcity101

Seaman
Re: '84 Evinrude Not Pumping Fuel

Must be a vent on the tank. Otherwise it's like holding the top of a straw filled with water, none comes out the bottom.

hidef

Lieutenant

You have to vent the tank but if the fuel pump is working correctly it will suck the the primer bulb flat. You can also do the same thing by squeezing the bulb once you start to develop a vacuum on the tank the bulb will go flat.

mattevans24

Cadet

Well I checked it this morning and the tank vent was shut. When I get home tonight I will fire it up and see if it pumps fuel regularly. I'll be very happy if I don't have to rebuild the pump :)

Thanks for the help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Yes, that tank must be vented. All OMC tanks have a tiny stainless rod on the face of the tank hose connection. When you connect the hose end to the tank, it depresses (pushes in) that tiny rod and thereby opens a vent to the tank. Not sure if the Mercury tanks have that same feature. If not, make sure the tank vent is open.

mattevans24

Cadet

The fuel vent was located in the center of the screw on lid (remove for refuel). It was closed, I opened it up all the way and it pumped fuel continuously. Looks like the prob is solved.

Also, when I hooked up the ignition to start it for the first time, I only hooked up the battery terminals and the red plug. I didn't hook up the throttle cables. So when I lifted the lever on the shifter to engage the cold start (not sure if thats what its called), it didn't actually do anything to the throttle. When I did it again, I hooked up everything and it ran like a champ.