1977 Evinrude control box won't go into reverse! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1977 Evinrude 75 hp. I can not get the Power Pilot shifter into reverse. It worked fine one day and not the next. I disconnected the linkage at the engine, and it would engage both forward and reverse fine. It will not go into reverse with the power pilot. I took apart the Power Pilot and everything appears to look ok. Cables move fine from either end. Any ideas???? Please Help! Thank you.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 1977 Evinrude control box won't go into reverse! HELP!

Play in bushings inside the box may lock it up when pressure is applied to the shift cable When in forward, you pull the cable and little resistance. When going to reverse, you push the cable and resistance is much higher.

The bushings are is not the problem. The bushing don't have any play in them. Any other ideas on what the problem may be? Thanks!

1971oldschool

Recruit

I have a 1974 evinrude power pilot--it does the exact same thing.I removed the bottom portion to look at the cable and now I can not shift into reverse.I have spent hours taking it apart and re-esembling it and can not figure out why its locking up.I can shift reverse and move the cable by hand when its apart, but once it is re-esembled and I shift forward I can not shift reverse.If I re-esemble and shift reverse first it will work over and over but once shifting forward I can not go back. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this or what's going on???

1971oldschool

Recruit

Thank you! #64 looked fine but I pulled it out and greased it all over. Works great again. I spent a tremendous amount of time trying to figure this out on my own.

Yes I can't believe that part # 64 just needed a lot of grease and now it works. CRAZY!!! Anyways thanks a lot for the help...saved a but load of money by not taking the boat to a mechanic!! :D :D

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

(re. current thread -- will bump the whole old thread for context.) Hope the fix works.

NOTE: THIS IS AN OLD THREAD FOR BACKGROUND ONLY. SEE CURRENT THREAD ON SAME TOPIC!

Last edited:

Benlopez

Recruit

I have a 1974 evinrude power pilot--it does the exact same thing.I removed the bottom portion to look at the cable and now I can not shift into reverse.I have spent hours taking it apart and re-esembling it and can not figure out why its locking up.I can shift reverse and move the cable by hand when its apart, but once it is re-esembled and I shift forward I can not shift reverse.If I re-esemble and shift reverse first it will work over and over but once shifting forward I can not go back. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this or what's going on???

Yes i had the same probolem,disassembled numerous times.reassembles and it would work ok till you give it full throtle then it would lock agin.no reverse.went to utube ,it showed me the forward and reverse arm in the b bx was worn on one of the plastic teeth that was causing it to jump teeth causing the control to lock you out of reverse. A lot of people are having the same problem.you realy got to look close at the worn teeth to noticed

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
MOD. Don't know what the heck I was trying to do four years ago. This puppy should be closed! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.