Evinrude 35hp Big twin

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey guys, one of my buddies has an old 35hp big twin. He told me I can have it for $50. It also has controls. Here's the catch, it does not have a carburetor. The motor looks absolutely beautiful. Never seen saltwater, and the skeg has no bumps or scratches AT ALL!! Compression was in the high 140's. I dont remember what year it was ('57-'59 were the only years they made them) but supposedly since these motors are not in extremely high demand like their 10-18hp cousins, so parts are not too difficult to find. What do you guys think, should I do it? Will I spend the next five years looking for a carb for it? :)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 35hp Big twin

Grab it up, the controls alone are worth that. Carb should be no problem at all. Plenty around. Place a wanted ad at aomci.org, or try the salvage yards listed in the Top Secret File.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds good...how 'bout a pic??

Mas

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice

Need an email address I can send the pic to.It won't be til later,goin fishin!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Just post it here for all to see!

Mas

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Sweet guys, thanks for the feedback. Im pickin her up next friday, so Ill get some pics up then.

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A carb should be easy to find on that motor. They made hundreds of thousands of those big twins in the mid to late 50's and most of them have a carb that would work on your motor, and a ton of them are still around because of there durability. In the mean time, you could order up a carb kit, as you will definitely need one--and they are less then $20 shipped. Nice score!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

A carb should be easy to find on that motor. They made hundreds of thousands of those big twins in the mid to late 50's and most of them have a carb that would work on your motor, and a ton of them are still around because of there durability. In the mean time, you could order up a carb kit, as you will definitely need one--and they are less then $20 shipped. Nice score!

Thanks man Im siked about it. I dont necessarily need it right now, but Im all for having more power than I need. I want to set up a 1754 all-weld centerconsole fishing boat. I think that motor will be just right on it. If not Ill go with a 1648 and convert it to tiller steer.

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A 1754 jon boat with a center console and a 40hp rude would be a match made in heaven! Probably skip along the water close to 30mph, should be perfect for that boat. Good Luck!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

A 1754 jon boat with a center console and a 40hp rude would be a match made in heaven! Probably skip along the water close to 30mph, should be perfect for that boat. Good Luck!

Cool man great to hear! Sounds like I have some long-term plans!!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes, I recently acquired a nice old '57 Big Twin myself for a whopping $60. I've wanted one for years. You'll love yours. Excellent old motors.

20120408202510.jpg

20120401200852.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Cool Zeph, looks good. You get her up and running yet?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Cool Zeph, looks good. You get her up and running yet?

Well, since I got it, I've rebuilt the carb and the ignition system. I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet. I will today though. I've spent the whole time I've had it, babying it up. I puled the exhaust housing and bypass covers and cleaned the threads and looked through each port. The pistons look great. I've also added the starter, flywheel and electric choke from a parts Lark, I bought the same time. it's ready to pull the rope now.
I still want to re-kit the lower unit and put a new impeller in too.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Man Im siked, goin to pick her up tomorrow!! Ay Zeph just wondering, what all carbs are compatible with this motor?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

So I got the motor today. Serial is 25028, which apparently is a '57 35hp. Ill get some pics up on here soon.

The good: Motor looks great for its age, prop is flawless, and I have ALMOST a complete motor. My bud took $35 for it cause of the following issues.

The Bad: It is actually a tiller steer motor, but the tiller arm is gone. And it needs a carb. Here is the worst part. I guess he hasnt fooled with it in a while, cause it seems to be locked up. When I pulled the spark plugs, there was what looked to me to be synthetic motor oil in the cylinders. The plugs were hand tightened. Other issue I noticed is that the motor is stuck in forward, so I am wondering if the L/U has some rust issues.

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For $1 per hp, you did very well. It sounds like you're going to have to dive into the thing and hope you can get everything going on it. You will get tons of great info here, and hopefully you'll be able to free everything up. If you find a lot of issues inside such as things bent and broken, it may be less expensive to actually use this as a parts motor and keep your eye out for another one. If you're looking, you can find them pretty readily available. During the mid to late 50's they literally made hundreds of thousands of these motors, and the vast majority of those are still around today. So don't get too discouraged if you find major mechanical problems--a second parts motor is a great thing to have on these since the individual parts can be found--but often are way over-priced (people who part out motors sell the little pieces for $20-$30 per piece--when they often pay about that for the entire motor).

Good Luck and let's see some pictures of her!! :D