1984 Evinrude 150 V6 stalls when shifting into gear and take a long time to plane out

JTSIMARD

Recruit
Hello, I recently purchased a bowrider with a 1984 evinrude 150. The motor runs great and is really smooth, however, there are some issues. Firstly the motor starts right up and runs great until you try and idle it down to shift it into gear. The motor will generally stall out once the neutral rev lever has been clipped down. The only way to get it into gear is to quickly drop the rev lever and push it into gear dropping the throttle, it bogs a bit but as it revs up you can pull the throttle back and it will run smoothly in gear at an idle speed.

It seems like the idle may be set too low or something, im not rlly sure.

** The motor does not have this problem at all and runs perfectly when switching gears if it is trimmed up about halfway.

The other issue I am having is it seems to be very slow in planing out. I have to put the throttle full out and it drags along, pushing in the hole for a while, and then you can hear the motor slowly start revving up and then it will plane right out. once planed you can back off the throttle and then it is very responsive to increase in throttle.

If anyone can help that would be great!

Thank you!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1984 Evinrude 150 V6 stalls when shifting into gear and take a long time to plane

Have you checked the compression and spark?
If those check out OK, it might be time to overhaul the carbs.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 Evinrude 150 V6 stalls when shifting into gear and take a long time to plane

Double check the idle speed of the engine. It should idle between 650 and 700 rpm's when the boat is floating in the lake and is in forward gear. If the idle is too low, it will struggle to run low rpm's and in gear. If it's not a low idle issue-likely the carbs need to be overhauled. Esp, remove an visually inspect the idle and mid jets for any restrictions.