1987 110HP evinrude timing

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so here is what im dealing with http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=554613

I Synch and Linked my Carbs, adjusted the Cam Follower, did the Joe Reeves timing and the cam follower timing (on the muffs, i don't think that makes a difference?) the only thing i had to change was the cam follower timing.

It seemed to run fine on the muffs but once i put it in the water the start-up idle was ruff and hard to start then would not even stay running without pulling the linkage to the timer base again. so effectively no change.

seemed like the idle was set too low so i turned it way up and it would stay running and go into gear but would die when the throttle was increased in gear.

Ideas? Im about to give up and bring it to a mechanic but god knows how much they would want for a tune up.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1987 110HP evinrude timing

The idle should be set a little high on the muffs because back pressure on the exhaust when the motor is in the water will decrease rpms at idle. It sounds to me like your carbs might be just a little lean on idle. Try richening them up a little, adjusting idle to about 900 or 1000 rpms on the muffs and fine tuning them when on the water.
Or bring it to a mechanic and let them do it. :)
JBJ