Expert Assiistance Requested - 98 Evinrude 150 Ocean Pro

catfishjoe

Cadet
Hello everyone,

So I have an otherwise clean 1998 Seaswirl Dual Console 2100 w/ 150 HP Evinrude Ocean Pro outboard. I'm experiencing the following issues:

- Stalling at idle
- Intermittent Check Engine light
- Intermittent Check Engine warning alarm

I understand this is an issue with the fuel system, however I'm not quite clear on how to diagnose or resolve it. I have removed and replaced the anti-syphon valve. I also checked the fuel bulb (disconnected and pumped some fuel into a jar to check for debris -- looked good).

Here's where it gets strange (which I hope will give clues to the problem). Sometimes if I start the motor, and I have a check engine light or alarm, I go squeeze the fuel bulb (its typically soft) until hard. This usually always gets rid of the alarm, and often the light.

Sometimes when I'm running at near WOT, I'll get the buzzer. I'll immediately throttle down, squeeze the bulb a few times, and the alarm goes off (again, sometimes the light as well).

Sometime when I refuel, or even start, I get no light or buzzer. Seems like a good refuel keeps both away for a bit.

Now on the stalling part, its odd how it cuts out. It will idle fine and then just choke (at which point it cuts down a few RPMS below normal). If I do nothing, it will choke again, even a few more lowered RPMS. If I don't squeeze or quickly throttle it will stall.

Once I couldn't get it to start for a while. I had to let it rest a bit. I may have flooded it.

So, with all this said, what areas should I check or consider? I'm hoping these symptoms indicate something obvious (and of course hopefully a quick fix). Thanks in advance!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Expert Assiistance Requested - 98 Evinrude 150 Ocean Pro

I do not think the stalling and check engine alarms are related. Check engine alarm and light are caused by a fuel restriction. You have removed the A-S valve, so that is a good start. Maybe the fuel tank vent is clogged? Open the fuel tank fill and see if the problem goes away. If not, maybe the main strainer needs cleaning. It is under the airbox.

As for stalling, does the Quickstart function operate properly? Does it stall when warm, cold, after sitting a while? Sounds like the idle circuits on the carbs are lean, likely from dirt, but could be out of adjustment. Any idea if/when the carbs were last cleaned?

catfishjoe

Cadet

I do not think the stalling and check engine alarms are related. Check engine alarm and light are caused by a fuel restriction. You have removed the A-S valve, so that is a good start. Maybe the fuel tank vent is clogged? Open the fuel tank fill and see if the problem goes away. If not, maybe the main strainer needs cleaning. It is under the airbox.

As for stalling, does the Quickstart function operate properly? Does it stall when warm, cold, after sitting a while? Sounds like the idle circuits on the carbs are lean, likely from dirt, but could be out of adjustment. Any idea if/when the carbs were last cleaned?

Thanks Chris. Not sure if its the fuel talk vent, I did pull the screen on it at the vent and cleaned it. I haven't tried removing the fill and checking. Problem is it only seems to give me trouble when out on the water (never has an issue when starting in the driveway).

I'm not sure where the airbox is, I'll have to research that - thanks for giving me a clue here.

Also, forgive me, but I'm not sure what the quickstart function is. If your talking about when I push the key in before cranking then yes, although I dont always use that - doesn't really seem to have issues starting after not running for a week.

Regarding the carbs, I only have info that the seller has provided, and he said the carbs were completely maintained about 2 years ago (said the previous/previous owner let it sit too long and had to have some work done to the carbs). I can't quite recall what he said was done. The engine itself has a very clean/maintained look and the previous seller barely used the boat (maybe took it out a half dozen times). The owner before him (first owner) maintained good maintenance records. I wish I had asked him for those records upon purchase...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Air box is the plastic cover over the carb intakes. Four round rubber straps hold it on. Remove the straps and the airbox and you will see the white plastic knurled knob that covers the main strainer, in the center front of the motor.

Quick start is a cold starting aid. When the motor is cold, the temp sensor sends a signal to the powerpack to increase idle speed. When you first start the motor it will idle at 1100 RPM or so. After it warms up the idle speed will drop to normal (700RPM). Your RPMs may vary.

I would recommend a factory service manual for that motor. Have your model number handy. The marineengine website has the manuals for sale.

catfishjoe

Cadet

Air box is the plastic cover over the carb intakes. Four round rubber straps hold it on. Remove the straps and the airbox and you will see the white plastic knurled knob that covers the main strainer, in the center front of the motor.

Quick start is a cold starting aid. When the motor is cold, the temp sensor sends a signal to the powerpack to increase idle speed. When you first start the motor it will idle at 1100 RPM or so. After it warms up the idle speed will drop to normal (700RPM). Your RPMs may vary.

I would recommend a factory service manual for that motor. Have your model number handy. The marineengine website has the manuals for sale.

Thanks again Chris. I was able to get out there and examine/clean the main strainer. I'd say it was about 15% covered in black muck from the end inward. I removed it and spayed a ton of carb cleaner into it to clean out all the crap that was in there.

Overall I don't know if that was a problem.

I haven't gotten it out on the water to check with the fill cap off. Anything else you could think of checking while it's here in my driveway running like a champ?

Thanks again!