1998 Evinrude 150 Ocean Pro Fuel Restriction

rdobias

Cadet
Hey guys, I have been having a tough time getting this issue figured out. I'm just going to copy and paste what I posted in a couple other forums because I'm running late for work!

I am wondering if anyone here has a similar pickup on their fuel tank? An aluminum tube comes out of the top of the tank which attaches to this fitting. It's a couple bronze fittings made in a 90 degree. As you can see, the aluminum tube is threaded on the outside at the top and the bronze fitting screws down on it. There is not a rubber pickup tube, so I am wondering is the aluminum tube continuous to the bottom of the tank? Is that what transports the fuel? I'm thinking this is where my problem is? Also, as you can see the anti siphon valve travels horizontally. Since the tank is set up this way, I believe all the fuel hose is actually above the tank even in the chaser tube because I rebuilt this boat and I remember the chaser tube is a little above the tank level. I don't know why the guy had the tank built so the pickup comes out of the deck. Maybe the anti siphon is giving me issues?

tankpickup.jpg

As I said, I am sure the issue is due to fuel restriction since the engine ran great on the external tank. Also, the check engine light shuts off right when I idle down where I would assume if it was overheating, it would take a while to cool. Tomorrow, I think I am going to attach the external tank where the fuel pickup is, so I can rule out the filter or any part of the hose in the chaser tube.

This is the filter I have:

http://www.basspro.com/Moeller-Mari...9705&SST=1ecfefa4-b557-6d48-2b48-00002424f202

According to the arrows on the top of the filter, you can run both lines out the same side which is what I'm doing because their coming from the same area. This is driving me nuts but I feel like I'm getting closer to the problem.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Evinrude 150 Ocean Pro Fuel Restriction

The check engine alarm on that motor is due to a fuel restriction. Remove the A-S valve. Pull the fuel pickup tube out of the tank and look at it. Sometimes they have little filters that can get clogged. My SeaRay fuel tank had a antisiphon valve in the aluminum pickup tube. See if you can figure out why all that hardware is there. Maybe someone adapted another fuel pickup, or raised that one up because he had water in the tank?