9.9 Johnson Powerhead swap

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, what I have is a 1981 9.9 hp Johnson with bad compression on lower cylinder. I have a 1975 9.9 hp Evinrude as a parts motor, with a good powerhead. Both engines appear basically identical. Will this swap out and work fine? From what I can see it should, can I get a confirmation? Thanks for the help.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 9.9 Johnson Powerhead swap

yes it will work fine,but 81' has different head, to mount coils and powerpack, but i saw one motor 1976 with fitted powerpack

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes as racz says it will fit. I would change the heads as they were modified on the later models for better slow running (plug fouling problems). You will also need to change the RH sideplate (water jacket cover). The 75 does not have provisons for mounting the powerpack nor the threaded hole for the overboard water indicator Ell which are on this cover. Change all the electronics, (flywheel, timing plate assembly,coils, powerpack etc).

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. All the electrical on the 75 is perfect, so to make it easy as possible, I was thinking I would just mount the 75 powerhead with all the electrical on it including magneto, flywheel, coils, etc. Then I won't have to swap parts.