Older Evinrude 75 HP

tdhopkin

Cadet
Hello,

New to the forums, and this is my first post.

I was just wondering if anyone has anything to say regarding older Evinrude 75's. I am looking into getting a boat with one, and am going to start it tomorrow. It hasn't been run in a year, but had the bottom completely redone (transmission, etc.). Does anyone have any reviews on these engines? Whether they're good, bad, dependable, not, etc. I am not completely sure on the exact model or year, but I would be able to look for that tomorrow if needed. It looks really clean on the outside and inside everything looks good (as far as I can tell).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

tdhopkin

Cadet
Re: Older Evinrude 75 HP

To clarify, I believe it is from the 60s sometime, but im not 100% sure on that (it wouldn't let me edit the post)

wildwood11

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 3 cyl 75 hp from 1975 and it is a pretty good motor. Not very powerful but a good motor overall. If yours if from the 60's it might be V4 though. Not too sure about those ones.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

there were only 2 models made in 1975 , if i could get one of these i would snatch it up . if your motor has been used excessively in salt water , i would be a bit careful . in general they are reliable & good motors , i would however if iam to buy a new stator , for any of my models 60 & 70 ties i would i would buy the newer type stators as they do not break down easily from the heat under the flywheel because of more ventilation & are not sealed like the green ones

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

To clarify, I believe it is from the 60s sometime, but im not 100% sure on that (it wouldn't let me edit the post)

There is a plate on that engine with the model and serial number on it. There may also be a quarter size core plug on the powerhead with those same numbers. What is the model number?

tdhopkin

Cadet

There is a plate on that engine with the model and serial number on it. There may also be a quarter size core plug on the powerhead with those same numbers. What is the model number?

Hello, thanks for the reply. I went today to attempt to start the engine and found that the numbers were as follows:

Model No. : 755925
Serial No. : C449113

However, when attempting to start it, the motor would not fire up. It was turning over and cranking, but did not seem to want to go. Any possible reasons why this was the case? I am not very knowledgable when it comes to boat motors, but hoping to gain some valuable insight.

Thanks again!

tdhopkin

Cadet

Sorry again for the double post, but once again it will not let me edit. I'm not sure whether the last number of the model number is a 5 or an S. It's hard to tell what I wrote down.

Thanks again.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

in 1975 they did not come out with that model no , so you have a 1965 model , start off cleaning the carbs first

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Before you invest much money you might want to do a compression and spark test to find the basic health of the engine.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Model No. : 75592S, Serial No. : C449113 . However, when attempting to start it, the motor would not fire up. It was turning over and cranking, but did not seem to want to go. Any possible reasons why this was the case?

1965 V4 75hp Evinrude - Use Champion J6C spark plugs, gapped at .030 .

Remove spark plugs, crank engine over and test for spark. Caburetor no doubt needs cleaning but check compression and spark first.