1986 Johnson 60hp shift linkage - how to get it back together?

kensikora

Recruit
I was able to replace the impeller but now as I'm putting the lower unit back on, I have a problem with the shift linkage.

To get it off, I removed the R pin and pushed and the shift link came loose.

However, putting it back on, I can get the rod and the L shaped link bar connected but the shifter bar won't pull enough out to put the R pin back in.

Not sure if I have the shift rod in the right position.

In other words, I have it connected and working but I can't pull the L shaped rod out far enough to put the R pin in.

I don't want to force it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Johnson 60hp shift linkage - how to get it back together?

Do you have the shift cable from the control box disconnected ?? If not, try it as it makes things eaiser to line up.

kensikora

Recruit
Re: 1986 Johnson 60hp shift linkage - how to get it back together?

Yes, I have the shift cables disconnected.

The lever seems to be in the right position, ie, it shifts the gears, but it doesn't want to be pulled out far enough to get the R pin back in.

Screenshot_3.png

If the shift rod is not connected, the shift lever will move out to allow putting in the R pin.

Once I have the shift rod connected, the shift lever (L shaped) will not come out far enough to put the pin in.

I can see that when trying to pull the lever out, that it looks like the shift rod is pushing against the inside channel that the rod comes up through.

Update: since I could not see what was going on in that area, I removed the front black plastic pieces and got a good view of what I was dealing with... it was much clearer then.

The problem was that the mechanism that snaps into the shift rod was not fully closed. By tapping on the port side of the engine onto the piece, it snapped together.

I have to commend the engineers that thought of this.

Problem solved.