identifying the regulator on an Evinrude Starflite

ERTrent

Recruit
Calling all experts ...
I recently bought a 1962 Larson runabout and trailer that came with an Evinrude Starflite 75 (manual shifter/transmission). It is an old but quite useable package. The motor shows evidence of having had its lower end recently rebuilt by an nonprofessional, and also what also appears to be a shiny new regulator, complete with exposed terminals.
However, the motor will not start via the electric starter. The motor did fire and run quite happily on the second pull of the starter cord, but when I turn the key, I hear only a loud click that may indicate a defective regulator. When I opened the metal box below the gunwhale that contains the regulator I found what I believe is a new regulator. To my surprise, I also found the old regulator, disconnected, inside the cap of the metal box.
My concern is that terminals on the new regulator may make contact with the old regulator, and thus short it out. I speculate that the former owner successfully tested the motor and new regulator with the regulator cap off, and then replaced the cap only to have the engine quit. Scratches on the old regulator indicate contact with the new regulator.
My question is two- or threefold:
A) Have I correctly located the regulator?
B) If so, why does it not look like anything I can find for that year and model Starflite?
C) Is my diagnosis correct?
I attach three images (regulator; old regulator; motor cowling).
I look forward to your wisdom and insights,
Thank you,
ERTrent

Attachments

• regulator2.jpg
    regulator2.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
  • evinrude2.jpg
    evinrude2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
  • regulator1.jpg
    regulator1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: identifying the regulator on an Evinrude Starflite

The black box is the rectifier and the new component is a starter solenoid.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: identifying the regulator on an Evinrude Starflite

The black box is the voltage regulator and has nothing to due with cranking the mtr over. Only with charging bat if the mtr has a generator on it. You have probs with either your starter mtr, battery cables or connections.