1954 Evinrude 15 hp oil in the water?

Boater91

Cadet
I bought a 1954 15 hp evinrude a few days ago along with a 14 ft aluminum boat. i asked the guy to let me see it run and so he started it in a trash can. The motor appeared to run fine but there was oil in the water. he said the fuel was a 50/50 mix i was wondering why this is happening?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1954 Evinrude 15 hp oil in the water?

Hi Boater91.....and a big welcome to iboats :)

The older 2-stroke engines did consume a lot of oil. Oil is mixed into the gas; back then at a ratio of 16:1....and then 24:1.....and then 32:1....and then 50:1..... You get the idea; and 1954 was a long time ago.

Even a perfectly running 1954 outboard never comes close to burning all that gas and oil. What doesn't get burned ends up in the exhaust...and then of course into the lake.

Many lakes have banned carbureted 2-stroke outboards because of this.

Today we have four stroke engines that; like cars...have oil in a crankcase and burn straight gas. The 2-stroke engines that are still produced are high-tech devices that manage (through computer controls and space-age oils) to pollute much much less that the old ones.

So; there you have it.

Enjoy your classic; you might consider using synthetic oil if the smoke and fumes are annoying.

Chuck