1972 Evinrude Starflite fuel and timing question

pegs11

Seaman Apprentice
I got the motor a few years back because no one could get it running right.

I worked on it for a while, think about it for awhile, work on it for a while and think about it somemore.

Anyway. The entire ignition system was replaced before I got it. Everything from the distributor, wires, plugs and power supply.

The problem with the motor is that it starts missing at about 2700 rpms in the water under load and will not get any better.

I took the carbs apart the other day really expecting to see a mess in there. They looked brand new. Not a trace of varnish or corrosion.

I rebuilt the fuel pump and that helped a little bit. I actually got it up to about 3000 rpms intermittently after that.

I dumped out all of the gas even though it wasn't old and replaced the bulb on the hose and put it the water again today.

It ran at least 80% better. I hit 4000 rpms and it felt solid and smooth for a couple of minutes then started missing.

I tried squezzing the bulb while it was missing under load and that helped so I'm wondering could the fuel supply problem have something to do with the vacumn supply to the fuel pump? Is it feasible or practical to just replace the pump with an electric one before the diaphram pump to ensure a good pressure supply?

Also. I have no clue how to check the timing on this thing.