1990 60 hp johnson ignition problem

rick001

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 60 hp johnson that won't get spark intermittently. Sometimes it starts and runs great then dies and won't get spark. Then after a short time it starts. When it won't fire, it is all 3 cyls. so I kinda ruled out the coils.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 60 hp johnson ignition problem

Go to CDI Electronics and look up their troubleshooting guide. This may help.

rick001

Seaman Apprentice

Go to CDI Electronics and look up their troubleshooting guide. This may help.

I went to cdi electronics troubleshooting guide, and got it down to under the flywheel. I got the correct values when it fired and none when it did not.(coming out of the flywheel). I guess now I need to take the flywheel off and go from there.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you're on the right track. Could you narrow it down to what componet it is ??

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

all 3 cyls. so I kinda ruled out the coils.

not so fast , my new2me 70hp was worked on before i got it . didnt now it . had weak spark for a month till i snapped 2 plug wires onto the coils good and tight . ,..............ran like a champ for about 3 minutes till the shear pin went on the flywheel . i guess it wasnt torqued down to 105lbs. :confused:

rick001

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like you're on the right track. Could you narrow it down to what componet it is ??

I think the stator, I get the correct resistance values, but no voltage.(coming off the stator) Then after I crank it for a few minutes the voltage will go up for a few seconds then go to zero again. I haven't had time to pull the flywheel yet, to check for a shorted wire. But hope to get to it soon.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What kind of test equipment are you using ??

clanton

Rear Admiral

Look for melted stator, will drip on block. The bracket that the pack mounts is also also a ground, bolts must be clean and tight for a good ground. ground wires on bracket must be clean and tight. Look for bare pack wires behind the bracket.

rick001

Seaman Apprentice

Look for melted stator, will drip on block. The bracket that the pack mounts is also also a ground, bolts must be clean and tight for a good ground. ground wires on bracket must be clean and tight. Look for bare pack wires behind the bracket.

I checked the ground to the pack, but I'm not getting voltage to the pack, except sporadically. I haven't pulled the flywheel yet, but looking underneath, it looks like there is something running down the wires.

rick001

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I pulled the flywheel and the epoxy had melted and ran down the wires. The wires going into the stator feel flimsy, like they bend real easy. So I ordered a new stator, fingers crossed. Like I said in previous post, the resistance values were within limits, but only occasional voltage coming out of the stator. The problem started out only happening once in a while and gradually progressed to happening most of the time. Before I pulled the flywheel, it would start after cranking for a while, then only run for a few minutes before losing spark at all 3 coils. With a voltmeter connected, the voltage out of the stator would come and go.

rick001

Seaman Apprentice

Just to give a update, it turned out to be the powerpack. I replaced it and it ran perfect.