Evinrude 5o hp loud alarm from shifter.

sunbird1990

Cadet
I was taken my boat out for its maiden voyage. I got half way across the lake and an alarm/ siren started going off from the shifter. The only way to stop it was to turn off the key. The motor started running very rough and the was stuttering when engaged. I changed the fuel filter but haven't had the chance to run it again. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them. It's a VRO. How do I tell if the oil is actually injecting. I don't want to burn the motor. and has anybody converted their motor from oil injection back to the premix system?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 5o hp loud alarm from shifter.

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

(VRO Changeover Judgement Call)
(J. Reeves)

The VROs first came out in 1984 and have been upgraded quite a few times. In my opinion, back around 1988, they had perfected them but I think that they were upgraded even more since then. As long as the warning system is operating as it should, I feel quite at ease with them.

Some boaters have voiced their thoughts such as "What if that overpriced plastic horn should fail while I'm under way for some reason, and the VRO decides to fail five minutes later?" Obviously that would result in a big problem which really brings their fears into view.

The word "ease" is the key word though. If one has the slightest feeling of being ill at ease with that setup, then they should take the route they feel more at ease with. A judgement call each individual would need to make on their own.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

sunbird1990

Cadet

Thank you very much for the info. I have ran the motor at my house and it was fine. after I put it into the lake a drove about 200 yards it began to overheat. How can I tell if the oil injection is working and actually being injected into the engine. I'm concerned because the primer bulb on the oil tank is very firm, to the point I can't squeeze it, and it has been like that since I bought the boat 2 months ago. Also, I have not notice any change in the amt of oil in the tank. Any Ideas?

cr2k

Captain

I prefer to take that whole plastic POS out throw it away. You will need to put in a fuel pump.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

How can I tell if the oil injection is working and actually being injected into the engine. I'm concerned because the primer bulb on the oil tank is very firm, to the point I can't squeeze it, and it has been like that since I bought the boat 2 months ago. Also, I have not notice any change in the amt of oil in the tank. Any Ideas?

The only way you can tell for sure if the VRO is pumping oil properly is to mix oil (50/1) with the fuel you're using to be safe, then mark the oil tank with a magic marker or whatever. Now, run the engine for some time and observe the oil level again.

The oil primer bulb will need pumping only when replacing the VRO, a new oil hose, cleaning the oil tank if needed, etc. Under normal operations, the oil primer bulb stays hard. DO NOT pump it again as that will cause excess oil to flow to the carburetors.

sunbird1990

Cadet

You were very helpful with my last problem, and I was wondering if i could pick your brain for another? During the past week of use at the lake it would be running wide open across the lake and it would die (50 hp evinrude vro). Spoke to someone at the local marina and he suggested that I replace the gas line from tank to motor, (said line was collapsing on itself) and the boat ran better. The next day my no oil alarm starts going off (beeps off and on every few seconds). The tank is full and if i squeeze the ball it stops. I'm guessing that the vro pump is shot. if I disconnect the vro and run with a mixture instead do you think that would solve the problem of the having to replace the pump? Any feed back would be helpful.
Thanks
Tim

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

if I disconnect the vro and run with a mixture instead do you think that would solve the problem of the having to replace the pump? Any feed back would be helpful.Thanks, Tim

It sounds as if your VRO is failing. You can convert to the premix setup as follows.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

sunbird1990

Cadet

finally got around to fixing the boat this weekend. Converted vro pump to straight fuel pump. (Thanks J. Reeves) Ran/Idled better than before the conversion. RPM's lower too. did encounter a little hiccup I thought I'd bounce off of you fellas. When I throttled her up her RPMs shot up to 7 grand and stuck for a few seconds. She returned to a nice idle afterwards. Any thoughts?