4.5 HP Evinrude Tiller Grip

I tried searching and can't find anything, not for the life of me can i figure out how to remove the tiller grip handle from this outboard. Any help would be appreciated. I believe its a late 70's model E5RHCTA.

Thanks

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: 4.5 HP Evinrude Tiller Grip

Hate to say it, but it looks like that's a completely NLA part. Your going to have to start looking for used replacements unless the ebay fairy happens to smile your way and produce a dusty NOS part.

Here's a list of salvage yards that may just have a carefully used example of what you're looking for;

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=438822

nwcove

Admiral

just a guess....but i think the op may want to replace the notoriously stiff kill button? after a few years in the sun you need two strong thumbs to kill the motor....or flood it with the choke!

Actually the kill button works fine, it appears that there's something wrong with the helix as the handle slips (like something is stripped) when trying to come to WOT. Disconnected the throttle linkage and everything is free, the handle still slips. The plate moves freely by hand.

nwcove

Admiral

if you look at the tiller grip, right beside the mark that you line up with "start" "slow" "shift" , there is a hole, there should be a tab in the hole that you can push down, but it has to be mated with the hole, and staying there. i had a 8hp, that the tab would slip out on the grip and the handle could be pulled out a bit, and act like you have stated.