Some help please with OMC wiring and older control with trim and tilt

nightimefishn

Seaman
OK here is the story,

Repowered my boat with a 2000 Johnson 200HP. Before I had a 1988 Evinrude.

I would like to use the system check tach/guage which I have and also have the newer modular wiring harness. My issue is I'd really like to be able to use my existing mechanical throttle controls with trim. I would rather not spend the money right now on a newer style control with key.

Can I cut the 6 pin plug and wire it directly to my keyswitch, anyone have experience doing this? The trim and tilt I will just cut the plug and butt connect the three wires to the older switch, the 8 pin connector will connect directly to the tach, my other question would be the warning horn, not sure how I could get that to work, doesnt the newer horn driver come with the newer style control boxes?

I am sure someone on here has done this in the past. What would be some of your suggestions. Ive been scouring the forums and sites trying to find this info out but have been unsuccessful.

Thank you very much!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Some help please with OMC wiring and older control with trim and tilt

Night, I have a '98 Johnny with the Sytem Check. My ign switch is installed in the dashboard and has male bullet connectors instead of screws. The harness wires simply snap on. Obviously the throttle control is wired to the ign key for the neutral interlock switch to function, and the trim switch is in the control as well. You might get a service manual since it has a pretty good wiring diaghram, to show you how to hook everyting up. If I remember correctly the horn is part of the modular harness.

nightimefishn

Seaman

Thanks Chris,
Do you have the older style throttle shifter?

hidef

Lieutenant

Do not hack into your wiring harness. Search the salvage yards for a 96 and newer controls or buy a new set from BRP. You can use existing throttle and gear cables with the new controls. Then sell your 1988 controls to offset the purchase price.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

My controls are likely from 1998 as well.