Electric Start Conversion kit 69 Evinrude 18 Horse

LoneTinMan

Recruit
I saw this site and I figured I'd give this a go.. Seems like some real experts here. I have a 69 Evinrude 18 horse that I want to add a starter to. Do you guys know a cost involved in this? Where I could find parts? I'd sure appreciate some input from someone a bit older than I that knows outboards..

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Electric Start Conversion kit 69 Evinrude 18 Horse

Since there are lot of those old boys still running out there and everyone wants to add e-start, it's pretty expensive to do quickly. The hardest part to find will be the starter mounting bracket. Starters are easy to find, even brand new ones. I worry that your search will be difficult unless you're willing to spend around 250-300 bucks. Look in any salvage yards you have in your area, and the ones listed in the "top secret file" at the top of this forum. You'll need a geared flywheel (easy to find), a starter and starter mounting bracket, a solenoid, a wire harness (you can make yourself easy and cheaply), and a starter switch (tractor supply store).
good luck,
JBJ

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Fortunately, finding a starter for your year of motor will be a lot simpler. There are no hood mounting needs for it, since your motor has a fiberglass shroud. I think if you go to the AOMCI web site and post a want ad, someone may answer too. That motor of yours will take the same starter as a 20 and 25hp Johny/Rude, so there are more possibilities. You will need to wire in a key switch, solenoid and battery. I have seen solenoids cheap on ebay. I bought two of them for a buck apiece. Wiring and battery leads of course are available at your local parts house. Do not use an automotive style solenoid.

AlTn

Commander

just as jb says....that bracket is the key....I could kick myself for not jumping on an electric start 20 hp. for $150 listed on craigslist about 45 miles from me...grrr