Fuel Pump Test??

roddruiz

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 1997 Evinrude 175 Hp loop charged carbed engine that will run fine as long as I pump the primer bulb but when I let it run without pumping the fuel pump will not pull any fuel from it. I had other issues so I disconnected the VRO/OMS and plugged the oil line. There is mixed fuel coming from the tank. I have taken the fuel pump apart to inspect the diaphragms and they are in great shape.

What else would cause the fuel pump to stop pumping and is there a way to test it somehow? I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks

James R

Commander
Re: Fuel Pump Test??

The hose or connections of the pulse pick up on the block could be leaking. Also there could be a small air leak between the tank and the bulb. If you have an inline water trap filter it could be blocked.

roddruiz

Cadet

Checked all the supply lines to the VRO and put actual hose clamps on the lines that had zip ties from the factory. All of the lines coming from the tank are new and tight and there isn't a fuel water separator yet.

James R

Commander

If you are satisfied with the hoses and connections that I have specified then the fuel pump is defective.

roddruiz

Cadet

Thanks James, but actually I found out the fuel pump is not defective, the O-ring on the piston was defective preventing the air pump from driving the fuel pump. I did some digging and apparently that is supposed to be a Teflon O-ring? Does anyone know where I can find it?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try Maxrules.com or shop.evinrude.com. You'll have to hunt around on the evinrude site, but it's there.