Disconnect steering link from steering arm 1987 Johnson J150TLCUR

Will Bark

Lieutenant
As stated above I need to remove the steering link from the steering arm on the engine. The question is the bolt that attaches the link to the motor a tapered bolt or is it just forced into the steering arm and is tough to remove? I had rather not tear something up getting the two seperated. Can I just drive a wedge between the two?

Thanks for any info.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Disconnect steering link from steering arm 1987 Johnson J150TLCUR

Bump

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If there is a nut on top of the bolt, take it off first. You'll have to remove the the the bolt on the bottom of the link going to the steering arm. If you can't get at it, remove the the link from the steering cable and it should be eaiser to get at the bolt.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Have the top nut off and can turn the bolt but it doesn't want to come out of the hole; is this a tapered bolt and can I just wedge it out without damaging the swivel part of the link? I'm thinking it may be like wedging a ball joint out of an automobile. Thanks forinfo.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

bump

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's just a straight shank bolt and maybe the threads are stripped in the arm. Put a wedge between the arm and the link and then turn the bolt and see what happens.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Update: the steering arm is threaded like Boobie said; the top nut is nothing more than a jam nut to make sure the bolt doesn't come loose. The bolt is a special one at least on mine in that it has a cone shaped taper forced on to the bolt which fits up in the steering link; this is made of bronze. Anyway, got the whole thing apart cleaned up and regreased. Evrything now works perfect. Thanks Boobie.

Boogieman8

Recruit

I have a similar problem and being I'm relatively knew to boating I have a few questions. I bought a 1987 Johnson 40 hp vro outboard and the guy I got it from said the steering cable that runs through the tilt tubes was seized so he tried to beat it through with a hammer and ended up damaging the swivel bolt on the end where the control rod goes through. My question is I want to buy a new steering cable but how do I know if I'm getting the right one? How do you remove the old one from the tilt tubes? Can the swivel bolt just be changed out if so how do I remove it? The steering cable that runs from under the steering wheel back to the outboard is red I could not find a part number on it. Thanks, Jeff

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Boogieman, you should maybe start a new thread of your own. Read the rules at the top of this forum.

Boogieman8

Recruit

I couldn't find where I could start a new thread that's why I posted here