How to repair an electric choke on 1991 johnson 200hp???

fish2day

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1991 johnson 200hp model J200TXEIB that the electric choke is not working. I replaced the ignition switch but did not fix the problem. The engine will not start without priming it first, but runs and starts great after you run it 20 or 30 seconds. I need to know where to start to repair the choke problem? I know it has a primer solenoid and have located it but do not know how to test or repair. Any help appreciated....

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: How to repair an electric choke on 1991 johnson 200hp???

Does the solenoid click when you push the key in?
I would start by checking for voltage at the wire connection at the solenoid itself.

fish2day

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nothing clicks when I push the choke in. It sounds like there is no power to the Solenoid?? Is it the purple wire that powers it?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Do you have the key turned to the run position when you push it in?
There are only two wires going to the solenoid, a black one and a purple one, the purple one should be hot when you push the key in. Make sure the the black wire has a good connection to ground. If you have proper voltage at the proper time, and the solenoid does not click, it looks like you have a bad solenoid.

fish2day

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you have the key turned to the run position when you push it in?
There are only two wires going to the solenoid, a black one and a purple one, the purple one should be hot when you push the key in. Make sure the the black wire has a good connection to ground. If you have proper voltage at the proper time, and the solenoid does not click, it looks like you have a bad solenoid.

Thanks, that gives me a starting point to began, I'll post my findings.

fish2day

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My hot wire was broke off the solenoid. I hooked it back up and it works good. Thanks for the help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Glad you found your problem and got it fixed.