Gear house gasket 58' johnson seahorse 10hp

I am wonding what size gasket should be used on the gear housing of a 1958 johnson seahorse 10 hp. I ended up using a gear houseing seal kit # is 18-2682. I am worried that the gasket is too thin and after searching on the internet have found that a thinker gasket is used. I have also noticed water was getting in the house after putting the kit together and this wasn't a problem before the kit. Insite appreciated.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Gear house gasket 58' johnson seahorse 10hp

HI crestliner2012. What gasket are you referring to? The reseal kit should come with a propshaft and drive shaft oil seals, a spaghetti seal, 2 white nylon washers for the DRAIN/VENT screws, a thick o-ring for the shift rod, a tiny o-ring for the phillips head shift shaft screw, a medium sized o-ring for the top fo the driveshaft as well as a larger o-ring for the propshaft housing (Note: there may also be duplicate of extra pieces that are not applicable to your particular model) It may also have a cardboard type gasket that goes beneath the impeller plate. Here's a labeled pic of a typical reseal kit and a link on how to perform a typical reseal job. In addition to the gaskets and seals themselves, you'll also need a tube of 3M 847 gasket sealant. Your local OMC dealer may sell it, otherwise you'll have to order it. Getting these old gearcases watertight can be a bit of a pain. After you reseal all of the components it's a good idea to have the LU pressure/vacuum tested to detect any leaks. This is done by pressurizing the gearcase to about 10 psi and allowing it to sit 15-20 submerged in water to see if any bubbles are found. On the other hand, some folks just accept that these old motors are gonna leak a little and just try to check and top of the gear oil level as often as needed. Clear water along with white/milky colored oil in the gearcase is the telltale sign of water intrusion. If the gear oil is simply black/gray and stinky after using the motor, that's actually pretty typical and no cause for alarm. Be sure you only use 80-90w TCW-3 outboard lower unit gear oil. You can usually get a qt. for about $5 at Wal-mart. I use Pennzoil brand, but there are many others. You'll also want/need a pump too. Good luck. Holler if you get stuck.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=277190&highlight=lower+unit+seal+kit+installation

Lower Unit seal kit picture.jpg

LU oil pump.jpglower unit oil.jpg