86 johnson 90 hp dies if i dont pump primer bulb

micahrandall

Recruit
I have a 1986 johnson 90 hp outboard. Went out for a ride last year and my motor died on me dead in the water. I don?t know a lot about outboards, just simple basics. Pulled it back out this year and it will start but I have to keep pumping the primer bulb for it to keep running (on muffs). I noticed that the inline fuel filter would not fill up with gas even when the bulb got hard. I replaced the VRO pump and I am having the same issue. I checked and replaced fuel lines but it was no help. I have never rebuilt the carbs on this motor since I have had it, which is about 6 years. Could a jet or something be plugged in the carbs to cause this? any idea's?

model #: J90mlcdc

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 86 johnson 90 hp dies if i dont pump primer bulb

Pull the carb drain plugs on the float bowls and pump the primer bulb and see if you get fuel coming out of them.

micahrandall

Recruit

I will pull them tomorrow after work and post afterwards.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If you have to keep priming the fuel hose bulb, sounds like the new pump is having trouble sucking fuel out of the tank. Check for a defective fuel hose bulb (sometimes the ball valves fail internal to the bulb,) tank not venting properly, debris in the the anti-siphon valve (if you have a built-in tank.) If you currently run the engine from a built-in fuel tank, try borrowing a remote 6-gallon tank for testing purposes.

micahrandall

Recruit

I did try a seperat 6 gallon tank and it had the same problem

micahrandall

Recruit

Pulled the drain plugs out today and gas would come out the bottom. fired the motor back up today and I now notice that the impeller is not working either.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Guess the next thing would be to pull the carbs apart for a visual inspection. Pull the jets out and have a look, too. Depending on how the engine was winterized each year (if the fuel was left in the carbs over the winter) it could result in some fuel gelatin clogging some passages in the carbs. Some of the passages are pretty small, not visible to the eye, so you should plan to clean them with an aerosol type carb cleaner.