Johnson 200hp Primer Solenoid Advice Needed

fish2day

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1991 johnson 200hp J200TXEIB ,
I just replaced the regulator/rectifier, stator,timer base, and powerpack due to the regulator shorting and catching fire. The engine runs great after you get it started. When I push the key in to choke in it stops the motor from spinning. I do not know if it was doing this prior to the electrical fire, because I never held the key in while spinning the engine. I thought you held the key in for 5-10 seconds before turning the engine over.
Any advice helpful.

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Johnson 200hp Primer Solenoid Advice Needed

Could be a faulty ignition switch.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

To start the mtr properly, you push in the ignition switch when cranking, not the 5-10 second trick. As said above, could be a bad ign sw.

fish2day

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To start the mtr properly, you push in the ignition switch when cranking, not the 5-10 second trick. As said above, could be a bad ign sw.

I replaced the ignition switch with a new Evinrude switch. Now you can hold the switch in while spinning the motor, but my choke is not working. Where is a good place to start to repair this choke??

fish2day

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My hot wire was broke off the solenoid. I hooked it back up and it works good. Thanks for the help.