Evinrude XP 150 fuel manifold(?) repair???

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm guessing this is the fuel manifold, it's the approx 8" long plastic tube that sits right behind the carbs on the port side. The fuel line leaves the fuel pump goes into the bottom of this, then it seems to have 4 lines going out, one each to a pair of carbs and the fourth line going to the choke.

This past weekend, I noticed the line to the choke spraying gas out near it's fitting, when I primed the fuel systme with the bulb. In order to fix this, I started unhooking all the lines to it and heard a small 'crack' and when I finally got everything apart, it was obvious that this plastic, manifold (?), had seperated. It seems to be two pieces that are somehow pressed and sealed together with a belled flair on one end that. Since I was out of town at the lake, I went looking for a quick fix and found an O'reiley Auto Parts store and a two part fuel tank repair kit epoxy that sets up in 20min. I mixed the epoxy up and put it on both parts, held them together and headed back to my boat and by the time I got back, it was definately dry to the touch, so I put things back together and boated the rest of the day and some the next. All seems good and the boat ran like I champ.

Has anyone had any experience with this problem or using a product like this? Like I said, it at least held up while at the lake this weekend, but I'm not sure if I should trust it long term or order a new part. Like I said, the part wasn't really cracked or broke, it just seperated at the bell flared joint; obviously, the factory used some sort of 'glue' to originally put it together because it would surely have leaked without.

BTW....I believe this is the stuff I used. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/caulks-sealants/40754.htm

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude XP 150 fuel manifold(?) repair???

I have changed a few of them, I think there about $40.00

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Most fuel tanks are now made of fiberglass and this product sounds like the typical fiberglass repair kit. Should do well on a fuel tank. The fuel manifold on your engine should be plastic. I'd be concerned about the ability of a fiberglass repair kit to adhere to a plastic part-on a long-term basis. That 390466 fuel manifold has been discontinued by Bombardier. If you contact one of their dealers, they can inquire through their stockpro part locator system-there a many dealers around the US that still have new stock on that part.

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You may be right, that may not hold up forever, I thought it said it worked with plastics as well, but went and looked and can't find anything that says that. The repair still looks fine, but of course, it is the type of thing that will break at worst time ever! I called local marine dealer and they of course don't have, unless used in back of shop. May have to run up there sometime to see. They did tell me a place online to go, they show it on a diagram, but I'll have to call about the part. If anyone has a definate source, that would be great as well.

The other thing, if anyone knows of a product that will glue the plastic together and hold up to fuel, that would likely be as good of an option, being as the part didn't actually break, it just became seperated at a joint.

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, well got ahold of Seaway Marine and he said it's a tough part to find, even for himself! He did say they most likely used Metal Ethyl Ketone to put the pieces together, any ideas there??

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

Try JB Weld. You can get it pretty much anywhere - walmart, auto parts stores, home depot, etc.

http://jbweld.net/faq.php#faq007

It does everything from exhaust manifolds to fuel tanks to wood.

MFD100

Recruit

Can you make one out of plastic or metal T's and short hoses that is the way the one on my 78 150 is.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

You can fix the one you have by covering everything in JB and then once it cures just drill out the hole that will have gotten partially clogged with JB when you slathered it around everywhere. That will hold for you just fine if you can't find a replacement part. Considering it's already held you could also just leave it like it is and reinforce it with some JB.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

This US-based dealer has 6 of these fuel manifolds in stock-new: US BOATWORKS INC, 930 OSAGE AVE, KANSAS CITY, KS, 66105
(913) 342-0011 Give them a call and I am sure they will ship you one.

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just called and he does have several in stock, but is very proud of them. As hard as they are to find, I can see why, but for $85, I think I'm going to spend a day or two researching my options since mine isn't/wasn't technically broken. Definately worth a trip to my local marine dealer to see if they might have one laying around. I don't want a used one, which is $65, and though if mine were broken and not useable, I'd gladly spend $85, I'm not sure I can justify it as it would likely become a backup if the current ever fails as I don't want to risk breaking the current one taking it back off.

Any clue as to what type of plastics these are made from? ....this seems to be the trick in finding an adhesive.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/reviews/SealAllGlueReview.htm ...........just found this and I think I'll be picking some up and keeping it on the boat. Sounds like if this ever pulls apart again, it's what I need on hand! It even contains the methyl ethyl ketone, which the one dealer said is what they would have put this together with!

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The plastic and/or metal is a definate option, I actually was planning on this until I found the epoxy, that is currently holding it together. It cost me $45 to make an entire brass setup, in which I ended up returning. My only problem with it was I felt it might be kind of hacked together. I very well may make one, if I can find a plastic that will hold up to fuel...

EDIT.....I just searched out the Technical Data Sheet on the Seal-N-Place Epoxy Tank Repair Kit that I used and it says.....WORKS BEST ON: Use to repair metal tanks and plastic tanks such as fuel tanks, oil pans Does not bond to
polyethylene or polypropylene plastics.
I then searched out a chemical resistance chart and found that both fuel oils and gasoline have a severe effect on Polyethylene and are unsuitable for Polypropylene, so I'm guessing Evinrude wouldn't have used those two materials to make this manifold. With that said, if I find a reseanably priced manifold and/or parts to duplicate one, may not be a bad idea to keep on hand, just in case. But I don't think I'll be fixing what isn't broken at this time.

If someone has anything else to add or correct me on, I'd love to hear it otherwise, I guess I'll consider the problem solved for now and I appreciate everyone's time and input here!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

There are other US dealers that have new ones in stock. Ask your local dealer to check the restricted Bombardier Stock Pro parts listings for their names and phone #'s.

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice

I broke my manifold trying to remove/replace old, dried and cracked fuel line. As much as I dislike monkey rigging I was on my way North for two weeks of fishing and had no success in finding an OEM part locally.

I tried piecing together an all brass one out of 1/8" fittings I had laying around but the finished product was very heavy and did not fit into the space available for it.

FWIW, I just made a manifold using nylon Ts and elbows with 1/4" fuel line connecting the whole works. I cut the center 1/4" barb on the T and inserted a 3/16 brass tubing joiner (it taps right into place) to fit the 5/32" tubing that goes to the carbs. Under $20, less than 20 minutes to assemble and so far has performed well and is leak free.

It sure worked in a pinch and it will be interesting to see how durable the repair is. In the mean time I may be able to repair the original or find a new one for reasonable.