63 johnson spark plug wire question

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice
Okay so I have two questions I was wondering if you guys could help with with.

So bought this kit here: http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Motor-Sp...6554159--session_id.283791600--view_id.172285

And I want to make sure I'm doing it right, you just strip the wire on both ends one get shoved up the metal piece that get crewed into the distributor cap and the other gets shoved into the little whole?

Secondly with it done that way, the wire sticks straight out too far and the lid wont go on, so does that mean I am forced into buying so 90 degree booties like these?
http://www.iboats.com/Universal-Spa...6554159--session_id.283791600--view_id.203877

thanks for the help in advance,
-Zack

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 63 johnson spark plug wire question

What is your model number, the kit you posted is for a mercury. Those are not the correct wire ends for your outboard.
I usually go to a local auto parts store and get 7mm solid core spark plug wire, buy it by the foot. The plug wire end you posted is not correct for your outboard engine, should use a coil spring type on the plug end.

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice

V4S-12

That's the kit it told me to get when I searched my year and horse. 1963 75 hp btw..and that's the same kit NAPA gave to me.

kfa4303

Banned

Generally, motors of this era require 7mm copper core spark plug wires. You can usually get it for a few bucks a foot at NAPA and other auto parts stores. One end of the wire is cut flush and twisted onto the posts of the coil while the other end is fitted with a 90 degree boot. I used the crimp on style, but there are others. Modern graphite automotive wires will not work.

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice

Okay thank you very much sir. Any idea where I can get these 90* boots other than the link I posted first?

yorab

Ensign

Dan Gano at ganotech.com probably has them. He had them for my motor and he's a good guy to deal with.

kfa4303

Banned

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If there's an O'Reilly Auto (or one of their other name-sakes) in your area they have what you want; although they might have to order it.

7mm Copper core wire is their stock # MW-11; sold by the foot at 69 cents per

They have the connectors and boots too.

Chuck

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone I got my 7mm Copper core wire and kit from napa, it cost just as much as if I had ordered it from here. I guess I will have to call them again and see if they have some 90* boots.

Thanks again for all of the help

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice

Well I found some at NAPA for $1.74. Pretty good deal, I'll have them tomorrow! :D