1975 Johnson Seahorse remote control question

crazyls2

Cadet
Good afternoon all,
This is my first post and I have tried my best to make sure this isn't a repost. I spent a few hours looking through the site and found so much helpful information. Thanks to each of you for all of your hard work.

Background on my current issue. My grandfathers Terry Bass boat was given to me about five years ago but due to constant deployments I hadn't been able to use it. During this time I managed to misplace my key. When I returned home I attempted to put a momentary switch in for the starter and that was a complete failure. I quickly figured out I needed to go ahead and replace the ignition with a proper switch. I ordered the switch and it didn't arrive before I went back out. We had taken the remote controls out of the boat when we were trying to figure out the wiring (about two years ago) and now I have returned to the US and wanted to complete my project. Problem starts here......

1) I can not for the life of me remember where the alarm mounts inside the controls.
2) I can't get the controls back together. There is a spring with a metal ball that should kinda snap in place when I put the throttle back together but I can't figure out how to get everything lined back up to reassemble the controler. Is there a document or guide that might help me put this back together? The cam throttle and shift lever assembly also seem to be a bit tricky.

I should have taken pictures or video of us taking this apart but it is easy to say that after you've already screwed something up.

Any suggestions or help you might provide would be greatly apprechiated.

Regards
Sean

crazyls2

Cadet
Re: 1975 Johnson Seahorse remote control question

Just wanted to post a small update.

Yesterday I went home and tried again to put the remote back together. I had to remove the spring and ball to get the control back together and it was pretty easy to assemble that way. I haven't yet been able to figure out how to get the spring and ball back in. Reverse isn't working either. It's almost like the throttle is stuck in neutral & forward with reverse locked out. I did read several posts last night suggesting I apply marine grade grease to clear that problem up. I plan to try that tonight. I am also going to try again with a fresh set of eyes to put the spring and ball back in. I did print out the wire diagrams for the ignition and wired back up the ignition switch. Didn't get the motor to turn over that I haven't given up hope yet. It was too dark by the time I finished to check voltages.

While trying to lay under the steering wheel I managed to break the box attached to the steering wheel that turns the cable for the motor steering. I am in the process of trying to find a new one, but looks like I am going to be replacing the complete system. I am open to suggestions for that if anyone wants to offer some.

If any of you have input on how to put the "command center" back together please do chime in.
Regards,
Sean

eavega

Lieutenant

Hello Sean
For details on how the remote is assembled, you really need the OEM manual. There are good diagrams in there that show how everything gets put back together. As for the spring and ball, if you look on the hub of the actual lever, there are notches on the outside of the hub. Oriented towards the back side of where the handle fits into the control box, there should be a channel that is part of the control box. The spring sits inside the the channel with the ball pushed against the hub of the lever so the ball locks the control whenever it ends up inside one of the notches. There should be a metal plate that secures over the channel to keep the spring from popping out.
I am not sure where the overheat buzzer gets mounted, but I can check in my manual when I get home.

Rgds

crazyls2

Cadet

Hello Sean
For details on how the remote is assembled, you really need the OEM manual. There are good diagrams in there that show how everything gets put back together. As for the spring and ball, if you look on the hub of the actual lever, there are notches on the outside of the hub. Oriented towards the back side of where the handle fits into the control box, there should be a channel that is part of the control box. The spring sits inside the the channel with the ball pushed against the hub of the lever so the ball locks the control whenever it ends up inside one of the notches. There should be a metal plate that secures over the channel to keep the spring from popping out.
I am not sure where the overheat buzzer gets mounted, but I can check in my manual when I get home.

Rgds
Good morning and thank you for the reply. I had to remove the small plate to remove the spring and ball, it was the only way to get the control back together. Now.... it just doesn't seem to want to get back in. I have been able to get the buzzer back in, almost sure I have it in the correct place. I beat myself up for about three hours yesterday afternoon trying to get it back properly. Looks like I need to lube up a few pieces tonight to get reverse back. I will try and take some pictures while I am tinkering with it. I see there are many great guides and tons of info on these things but a few more pictures can't hurt.

Is there a resource I can download the OEM Manual or must I purchase it? At this point, it probably is worth spending the money if I must buy one. I am killing myself trying to undo my mostly error in my trial and error.

Again, many thanks for your reply.

Sean

eavega

Lieutenant

If you intend to do work on this motor yourself (which is usually the case) you need to have the OEM manual. There is no free source for it, but they are available either from ebay or from Ken Cook ( www.outboardbooks.com/ ). They are worth every penny.

As to the remote control, the way I get it in is to put the ball in the groove, put the spring in ball-side first (like you were putting in an alkaline battery) then compress the spring until it fits into the back side of the groove. hold down the front of the spring with the cover, and replace the cover once the spring is loaded inside. Definitely use a bit of marine grease on the spring to make sure it keeps moving.

Good luck. I'll see if the pictures reminds me of anything else when you post them.

Rgds

crazyls2

Cadet

Wow Eric, I never would have thought to get the spring back in that way. I haven't had time to mess with it in the past week but will snap some pictures when I am able to. Look forward to telling you if I had success with that ball and spring. Will order the manual.