Timing question regarding my 87 Evinrude 48hp -

Paulrd27

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,
Looking to do a timing job on my 87 evinrude. Only problem is I don't have an RPM gauge on my boat. Do they sell a portable one? Also what's a cheap timing light? I've never done this so any input would help.

I also don't have the manual for this engine. Does anyone know what the Throttle pick up, maximum advance, idle speed and WOT RPM?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Timing question regarding my 87 Evinrude 48hp -

Can you set the timing on these engines? I know they have a timing sensor assembly and I thought that did all the timing. I control idle with carb settings. For RPM you could get a tiny tach. I have one and it works pretty well.

Paulrd27

Seaman Apprentice

Well I just bought a timing light system that shows RPM's as well. Do I need all of this or do I just need to tweak the idle screw and the Full throttle screw?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I am pretty sure you just want to warm up the motor, set idle. I dont think that the main jet is adjustable, so the pitch prop that you have will dictate your WOT rpms. If the motor runs good you are good to go. If it misfires it can become a nightmare on these motors. I changed the TSA and powerpack on a misfiring '96 and it did wonders for it.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Oh and Im sure you have a throttle stop, but that is more to protect the carb butterflies than anything else. Just set that right at the point where the butterfly fully opens.

Paulrd27

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_1394.jpg

So here is a pic. The one on the top right is the WOT throttle stop correct? So when I open the throttle all the way it should stop right on that? What about the cable links, do those look correct? And the idle screw?
Thanks for your help by the way

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Throttle linkage looks fine. Im not too sure about the adjustment screws my brains a little rusty. The screw on the top left may be an ignition timing adjustment screw. Hmmm hopefully someone else on here can confirm. Do you have a manual? If you do they have the procedure for a link and sync.

Paulrd27

Seaman Apprentice

Ok.. I had the top left screw in the picture all the way in, then 1 1/4 turns out. *I had an RPM meter on it and it was idling from 1400-1600 and Stalling out at around 1200.

Then Id put the throttle in gear and ounce I got up to 5500 RPM's, the revs would shoot up really high in revs to 8000. I quickly put the boat in neutral and it very slowly brought the revs back down to 1600. Took about a minute. What am I doing wrong? I didn't have it in water, I only had muffs. Could that be a factor?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Ok..
Then Id put the throttle in gear and ounce I got up to 5500 RPM's, the revs would shoot up really high in revs to 8000. I quickly put the boat in neutral and it very slowly brought the revs back down to 1600. Took about a minute. What am I doing wrong? I didn't have it in water, I only had muffs. Could that be a factor?

Whoa easy killer! Don't ever rev up your motor past 1500RPMs when on muffs!!! You could have blown that thing sky high!!! To check RPMs you have to have a full load on.(The boat in the water.) Man!