1985 115 stalling at idle

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
Motor runs good throughout RPM range(WOT 5600). Its idling in gear around 950(to high right?) any lower adjustment and it stalls. Did a link and sync when carbs were installed after cleaning them. Checked plugs and starboard side ones are dark tan and dry, port side ones are a little darker but with more oil like residue on them. Motor seems to have the "lean sneeze" at idle but not sure. Should I remove carbs and clean again?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 115 stalling at idle

Normal idle in gear should be 650-750 rpm's. If it won't idle in gear less than 950, it could be a carb issue. A lean sneeze is a carb issue. Perhaps some debris (dried fuel) in the small dedicated idle passages inside the carb body. Some aerosol carb cleaner will dissolve that restriction. Have you done a compression check on the engine? I spray carb cleaner through one passage on one carb, noting the spray exiting the carb. Then pick up carb #2 and do the same passage, noting the spray pattern exiting that same passage. They should be identical. Continue back and forth between carbs till you clean all the passages and you are confident that the same passages spray the same between carbs. You will see a restriction be reduced spray.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help. Guess I will get carb kits and proceed. Just a question, would you think the starboard side is running too lean with the dry dark, tan plugs or the port side is running to rich with darker, wet plugs? And,..kinda seems strange that the same side of two different carbs would be clogged up.

Have also heard you must remove the plugs on the carbs to properly clean the low speed jets? Is that right?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I've been lucky. I have always been able to clean the carb passages without removing the internal plugs in the carbs. (you need a special sealant to replace/seal them if you take any out..) Regarding the different appearance of the plugs: One head could be running colder than the other. This promotes carbon on the pistons and may eventually cause the piston crown and plugs to look very different from the other plug. A good dose (or two) of Bombardier Engine Tuner may cure this. I'd check the head cyl temps with a laser temp gun. If one head is colder (thermosat stuck open,) you may need to consider removing the thermostat cover and replace both of the stats. One stat for each head. The head temps should be 145-150, running on the garden hose.