Clymer Johnson Evinrude 1973-1989 48-235 Manual Need One Page

ohiogto1969

Cadet
Oye I bought the Clymer Manual "Clymer Johnson Evinrude 1973-1989 48-235" on eBay and it is missing one page I need, the page is number 136. EDIT Send me a pm if you can help. Thanks, John

Last edited by a moderator:

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Clymer Johnson Evinrude 1973-1989 48-235 Manual Need One Page

What model outboard are you working on and what repair are you trying to do? We might be able to help you get through it if you give us some details.

ohiogto1969

Cadet

I can get the model number and post it later. I am not working on it my buddy is. What he is looking at is the ignition system, the previous owner disconnected the vro pump. When my buddy looked at the motor there was a wire disconnected that he thinks was a sensor, he reconnected the wire. Well when we tested the boat it would drop rpm at random, not a whole lot but you can feel the drop, looses up to 5mph and just dosen't sound right. I am mechanically inept so I am going to email him this post and see if he can chime in. Thanks

ohiogto1969

Cadet

The model number is J120TLCC

hidef

Lieutenant

Which wire did he plug back in? If it was the sensor for VRO pump it should be left disconnected. The would also be one for low oil in the tank which isn't required. The only sensors that should be hooked up are the two temp sensor located in the heads. They have tan wires running from them and will sounds the overheat alarm if the water pump or thermostats fail.

daselbee

Commander

I KNEW people were ripping out Clymer pages and using them for toilet paper! I KNEW it.

iamreddog

Recruit

Which wire did he plug back in? If it was the sensor for VRO pump it should be left disconnected. The would also be one for low oil in the tank which isn't required. The only sensors that should be hooked up are the two temp sensor located in the heads. They have tan wires running from them and will sounds the overheat alarm if the water pump or thermostats fail.

I am the friend that is working on his motor.
The wire I reconnected is the port side temperature sensor wire. This sensor is also connector to the automatic timing system. We need page 136 because it includes the detailed steps for checking the ignition system.
The issue, with the engine, is the throttle response. When you give it full throttle it seems as if the engine is lacking power. After struggling in its weakened power state, for what can be anywhere from 30 seconds to few minutes, it will come alive and jump right out of the water. It is as if it just got a shot of nitrous. Also at idle you get an occasional backfire, misfire or pop. According to the previous owner, the plugs are new and the engine just had a complete tune up. The plugs (Champion QL78YC) look new and do not appear to be fowled, but I plan on changing them anyway, because they are in step hotter than what is called for, and I just want to take that out of the equation. I want to give the ignition system a complete check over to make sure everything is function as designed. I especially want to check the automatic timing advanced system used for ?QuickStart? because if this is not functioning correctly it could lead to the symptoms we are experiencing.
And as I stated above, page 136 includes the detailed steps to do this so, if anybody has this page, we would appreciate if you could scan it to us.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I KNEW people were ripping out Clymer pages and using them for toilet paper! I KNEW it.

More likely to clean up grease, daselbee. The paper quality is not suitable for other uses. :)

daselbee

Commander

More likely to clean up grease, daselbee. The paper quality is not suitable for other uses. :)

Ah yes...so even the paper quality is inferior.....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I believe you'll are wandering off topic. ADD??

Yeah, probably. :p It is just a left handed way to recommend a factory manual. Even though iboats sells them we have a low opinion of Clymer (and Seloc) manuals.

hidef

Lieutenant

Use the CDI troubleshooting guide in my sig start on page 45. It has the complete steps you are looking for.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Clymer and Seloc replaced the Sears and Roebuck Catalog.