stator leaking goo

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a 1974 johnson 70 hp the stator seemed to be leaking goo so i know it wont be long before i start to lose spark i have the replacment part im also going to put new coils on and i have a set of new carbs to go on any tips tricks on removing the flywheel ?or any other sugestion before i dig into this

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: stator leaking goo

With all you're going to do to this mtr, I'd recommend an OEM Factory Service manual.

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

With all you're going to do to this mtr, I'd recommend an OEM Factory Service manual.

boobie i have the service manual plan on tackling this job this evening just wanted to touch base with the pros before hand see if there were any tips or tricks of the trade

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

while you have the flywheel off , melt some Vaseline &pour a little between the crank shaft & seal , it lubes the top needle bearing , works for me .cheers

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Geeez, I always thought the the top needle brg got it's oil from the oil fuel/mix in the crankcase. If melted Vaseline will go through that seal, it's leaking.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Busted, if you have the OEM Manual just follow that and you should be okay.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Geeez, I always thought the the top needle brg got it's oil from the oil fuel/mix in the crankcase. If melted Vaseline will go through that seal, it's leaking.

Boobie is correct, a bit of knowledge he gained while repairing Chris's kicker on the Santa Maria. :)

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

i thought so to , in fact there is a O-ring seal that goes into the bottom of that bearing ,now if you remember , i uploaded a photo of a inlet manifold inquiring about the grooves , well from the top bearing there is a hole that goes to groove in the top end that hole is there to drain the what ever you put into the bearing from the top spray q -20 into the top it goes into the seal , the O-ring on the inside is to keep the vacuum in , this tells me the bearing does not get lube from the inside , maybe with other models yes , but not my motor , study it & you will see what iam on about ,
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=549472

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sorry Joe, I couldn't fix the kicker 'cause my laptop fell overboard in a big storm............