New Purchase - 88 Johnson 4HP Deluxe. A few questions

Moody Blue

Captain
Recently bought this motor as a trolling motor. These models seem to be regarded quite highly so I hope it performs well. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer. I plan on acquiring a manual but for now I'm relying on the members here.

1) The tiller throttle is VERY stiff. Can it be disassembled to clean and lube it? Appears to be a cable control.
2) Is there a general tune-up procedure available?
3) Compression test gave about 95PSI on each cylinder. Good or bad?
3) Is there an on-line manual available per chance?

Thanks to all.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: New Purchase - 88 Johnson 4HP Deluxe. A few questions

1) By the parts breakdown I looked at the throttle lever just moves the mag plate, you can take it apart and clean and relube, should cure your problem.
2) You have points and coils under the flywheel, make sure there are no cracks in the coils, points are clean and adjusted properly. Make sure you have the correct plugs and that they are gapped properly. Can do all this while you have the flywheel off to correct #1.
3) That compression is good.
4) Your best bet is a factory manual, there are parts manuals on-line, but there are no service manuals. Try E-BAY or google KEN COOK, they have factory reprints. Make sure to use your model number when you order a manual to get the correct one.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

95 PSI sound pretty good especially if both cylinders are even. As for the stiff throttle, you can disassemble the tiller handle and clean things up. The part number for the OEM service manual is 507659 and I think you can find one on ebay for $25.00 or less.
Not sure what side of the lake you are on, I'm at Innisfil beach and I have the service manual. If you live close by you are welcome to borrow it.

Moody Blue

Captain

1) By the parts breakdown I looked at the throttle lever just moves the mag plate, you can take it apart and clean and relube, should cure your problem.
2) You have points and coils under the flywheel, make sure there are no cracks in the coils, points are clean and adjusted properly. Make sure you have the correct plugs and that they are gapped properly. Can do all this while you have the flywheel off to correct #1.
3) That compression is good.
4) Your best bet is a factory manual, there are parts manuals on-line, but there are no service manuals. Try E-BAY or google KEN COOK, they have factory reprints. Make sure to use your model number when you order a manual to get the correct one.

Points, really? That surprises me. Good to hear about the good compression numbers.

Moody Blue

Captain

95 PSI sound pretty good especially if both cylinders are even. As for the stiff throttle, you can disassemble the tiller handle and clean things up. The part number for the OEM service manual is 507659 and I think you can find one on ebay for $25.00 or less.
Not sure what side of the lake you are on, I'm at Innisfil beach and I have the service manual. If you live close by you are welcome to borrow it.

Thanks for the offer. I'm across the bay in Keswick. I plan on ordering one right away but if I get stuck in the meantime I might take you up on your offer.

Moody Blue

Captain

Anybody know the correct plugs/gap for this motor?

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i bet this motor has powerpack instead points ignition,
plugs gap is 0.03"

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Anybody know the correct plugs/gap for this motor?

Here's what the service manual says...
Plug: QL77JC4 (Champion)
Gap: 0.040in. (1.0 mm)
The 1988 4 Deluxe model has CDI not points.

Moody Blue

Captain

^^^^^^^^^^
Yep, that's what I've found exactly upon further inspection. So far so good.

Managed to free up the tiller throttle. A few more questions after more poking around today.

1) The engine fires without the kill switch tether engaged. I found one wire of the kill switch disconnected and laying loose in the engine compartment. Couldn't find a mating wire to connect it to. The other wire from the kill switch is connected to GND. Not really worried about the kill function on a 4hp trolling motor but I like things to work as they should.

2) Found a lever located on the starboard side of the transom/tilt bracket. Its not the reverse lock. What is it for?

3) Drained the lower unit oil and it was black as coal and very thick. No water and no debris on the magnetic plug, so that's a positive. What is the procedure for filling an OMC gearcase. I'm familiar with the Mercs but never worked on an OMC.

Thanks for bearing with me.

hidef

Lieutenant

You fill the gear case from the bottom plug, it is full when the oil comes out of the top plug. 85W90 gear lube and yes you can use your Merc lube in a OMC. The kill circuit works by grounding the power pack that is why one wire is attached to ground there should be a black and yellow wire at the power pack. The most likely disconnected because the switch quit working. The lever on the side might be for the swallow water drive. It keeps the motor tilted up for running in swallow water.