Fuel Pump or Bad water seperator filter or Other Issue?

ReelReckless

Recruit
Been on iboats site a few times reading through the forums and every answer i was looking for, i found. But not really sure the direction to go in this time, so looking for a little help...since everyone on hear seems to know there stuff. Ok...here is the issue. I have a 1997 200hp Johnson Ocean Runner...toke the boat out last weekend and has some trouble starting it at the dock. Of course it started right up at the house the night before but in the water was a different story...usally is. I put the boat in the water...pumped the bulb til it was hard (and it seemed like it took forever for the bulb to get hard). Once the bulb was hard tried to crank it up and wouldn't start. When back to the bulb to check and the bulb was soft again. Pumped it for the second time and it wouldn't get hard. So a buddy of my pumped the bulb as i started the motor and it started right up. Let the motor warm up for a few before leaving the dock. Boat ran great out to the reef...no problem. Stopped and started the motor a few times moving around on the reef and it was fine. The end of the day went to fire motor to head home, it turned over but stalled...had to do a few time before it stayed running. Once was running, it did fine all the way back to the dock. Got home motor started up to flush no problem, but a lot of smoke. Finally had time again to get out on the water. Tried firing the boat at home and wont turn over, same issue with the bulb would get hard then soft. So, I pumped the bulb as the wife started the boat and fired up after a few turns of the key. Motor cut off twice before it stayed running, but again a lot smoke. Then motor started to stutter...so i had the wife kill the motor. So, now hear i am hoping one of pros on this site can give some info on my issue. Thanks.

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Fuel Pump or Bad water seperator filter or Other Issue?

If the primer bulb will not pump up and stay firm you either have a fuel leak in a line, a bad check valve in the fuel line, a sticky float / needle valve, A primer solenoid that is sticking or possibly a bad fuel pump.

When you push the key in the primer is going to let fuel into the intake manifold that will reduce the pressure on the fuel line. If the primer solenoid stays open that will allow fuel to spray into the intake manifold as you squeeze the primer bulb.

ReelReckless

Recruit

Thank you for info. A couple months back I had the top casing of the primer solenoid replaced because it was cracked. It was leaking fuel when I primed the bulb. I check all the fitting to the primer solenoid and fuel pump...the hoses showed no signs of leaks. There was a valve on the primer solenoid I was unsure about...should it be tight or a little loose? But maybe from the tank to the water seperator filter, to the motor...there could be a leak. I guess i need to have fuel lines presure tested. Could water have gone from the water sepertor filter, through fuel lines in the motor...get water into the carbs? of will the water seperator filter prevent that from happening. Sticky float...u mean inside the tank for the fuel gauge? If so, sometimes if I hit a pretty good wave the fuel gauge gets stuck on E. ..then later it unsticks and shows the right amount of fuel on the gauge. Sorry to some dumb, but how could this be causing the issue or are you talking about a different float? Also, I looked through the paperwork from the guy I bought my boat from and found that the fuel pump was replaced almost two years ago. Is it likely it would go bad in two years? And could all this be caused by bad fuel?

Guess you can say i'm a rookie at this boat owner thing. I grow up on boats and know some, but there is still a lot to learn. I dont like to call up a marine tech and say "hey somethings wrong with my motor, fix it."...never know what they will tell ya. I like to know as much as I can about the issue so i dont get ripped off.

Thanks again for the reply and the information.

hidef

Lieutenant

The stick float / needle valve could be in one of the carbs. You said you replaced the top casting on the primer solenoid which way does the red arrow on the valve point. Pictures would be helpful. When was the last time the carbs were cleaned? Your engine has quick start the proper starting procedure is as follows. Do not raise the fast idle lever while stating the engine it will dis-engage quick start.

1. Pump up the fuel line primer bulb
2 Turn the key to the on position let the warning horn sound and system check gauge cycle.
3 push the key in and turn the key to the right to engage the starter.
4 the engine should fire give an additional push of the key to give more fuel if needed.
5 Once running you can advance the fast idle lever if required

ReelReckless

Recruit

Carbs were last cleaned on 4/30/2011...right before i bought my boat. I use the starting procedure the same as you listed below. Here is the pics of the primer solenoid and some black stuff i notice on the shaft and right above lower unit. The last two photos were taking long ways - it the shaft right above lower unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0

ReelReckless

Recruit

Talked to my mechanic today he seems to think that its the fuel pump due to the motor smoking so much. He said that the carbs might be filled with mainly oil instead of right oil/gas mix ratio that the motor needs to fire. He said that when im pumping the ball during the start process it is bring the ratio of oil/gas mix to correct amount and allows the motor to fire. Any truth to this?